Please help on identifying this inscription , its subject , and its era

Discussion in 'Books' started by ABDELBARI, Jul 2, 2019.

1. ABDELBARI

ABDELBARI Member

Please help on identifying this inscription , its subject , and its era . 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Abdelbari, it looks like a Tefillah and in Hebrew. The text is religious, but looks upside down to me. Which you weren't to know.
    Is it just one, or are there two?

@komokwa , can you help?

Something on the use:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tefillin

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
    kactus 100, patd8643 and sabre123 like this.
  3. ABDELBARI

ABDELBARI Member

They are many , and these are samples .

4. Any Jewelry

Interesting. They are usually in sets of two.

5. ABDELBARI

ABDELBARI Member

Are they of value ?

6. Any Jewelry

I am sorry, I have no idea. Even if I did, I don't know what the market is like for these items in Egypt. Do you sell mainly to tourists?

7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Sorry , I can't touch this, other than to say , you get your first tefillin for your Bar Mitzva and you usually keep them for life.
    They are as personal a religious item as any in the world, & I know of no market for used ones in such terrible condition.

In the 1950s, Egypt began to expel its Jewish population (estimated at between 75,000 and 80,000 in 1948),[4] also sequestering Jewish-owned property at this time.

In 2016, an article in an Egyptian periodical contained a quote from Magda Tania Haroun (a spiritual leader of the Jews in Egypt) which seemed to imply that there were only 6 Jews remaining in the entire country, all of them women over age 65.[2] However, a subsequent article in another periodical clarified that she was specifically referring to the Jews remaining in Cairo (where she is based) and that there are a further 12 Jews in the city of Alexandria, whose spiritual leader is Ben Youssef Gaon.

For all I know these could have been taken off dead Israeli soldiers in the Sinai , during the Yom Kippur War in 73...............

Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

That poor thing got rode hard and put away wet. I wish we knew where it had been and what it had done.

9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

maybe you don't..............

10. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

11. Sedona

Sedona Well-Known Member

There may be a Jewish organization in Israel or the USA that may be interested in purchasing them from you. Perhaps start with Aish in Jerusalem? Sometimes old Torah scrolls are restored. I definitely wouldn’t discard them.

kactus 100 and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted