Featured Please help on these vintage stereoscopic European photos

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by ABDELBARI, Nov 23, 2018.

1. ABDELBARI

ABDELBARI Member

Please help on these vintage stereoscopic European photos ( Approximate date , Rarity , Approximate value ) 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg 10.jpg

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Very nice, Abdelbari.

#1 could be st. Peter's cathedral in the Vatican, Rome, Italy.
    #3 is the New Palace in Potsdam, Germany, currently part of the university.
    #4 is Dresden, Germany.

The others will be able to tell you more.

3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Second from last is Gibraltar taken from Spain.

Fid, i need help and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

I thought it might be.

I suspect #6 could be in Florence, Italy.

i need help and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I don't know about these things, so this is just conjecture: Most of them seem to be stock views of well known places... tourist stuff. I would guess they are fairly common as these things go. The last, I think, would be the most interesting of the bunch as it shows some other scene, but it looks badly faded.

6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I think maybe that last one shows an archer?
    And the costume looks "habitant" (old Quebec) to me, but maybe it's European (Basque?).
    zza.jpg

i need help and Christmasjoy like this.
  7. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

The photographic prints appear to be albumen prints. This technique was in use from 1850-1920. It is difficult to see the distinguishing characteristics on the photos posted here, but albumen prints are on very thin paper (usually mounted on heavier paper board). The image is often yellowed/faded, like those here. Earlier prints have a surface “crackelure”, while most prints produced after c.1870 were burnished to produce a glossy surface.

The stereo card mount (curved, buff colored cardstock, with round corners) was in use c.1879-1910.
    http://www.vintagephoto.com/reference/dating.html

The images may have been printed from negatives made earlier than the mount.

Stereographs are not all that rare, as they were commercially produced. And generally not particularly valuable unless the subject matter is unique. The Arabic notations on these are something I have not seen before, (are they hand written, or printed on the mount?). Presumably they identify the scenes.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
  8. Any Jewelry

Could be from certain Central and Eastern European countries as well. White trousers and woven waistbands abound there.;)

i need help likes this.
  9. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

The sculpture on the left looks like Benvenuto Cellini's "Perseus with the Head of Medusa", which is displayed in the Loggia dei Lanzi of the Piazza delle Signoria in Florence.
    [​IMG]

Any Jewelry and i need help like this.
  10. Any Jewelry

You're right, it does, and the Loggia dei Lanzi is what I was thinking of. But forgot the name, as usual.:rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

11. ABDELBARI

ABDELBARI Member

Thank you very much for all the nice members , would you please let me know an approximate value

Any Jewelry likes this.
  12. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Negligible here. In my part of the US they'd sell for about a dollar each. Elsewhere, I haven't the faintest.

Fid and Lecollectionneur like this.
  13. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

here either.....you'd need to sell them where the arabic script could be read...

14. Lecollectionneur

Lecollectionneur Well-Known Member

As said before, value is anecdotic, stereo prints are interessant and with some value when they are made with animated subects, old workers, etc…
    The most interesting are private pictures, they were expensive to make, special camera, a lot of material needed, you can found scenes which were never registered, old views from capitals interests the architets, historicians, and collectors…:angelic:

i need help likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted