Please help! Trying to identify this piece is making me crazy

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by LaneAcadia, Jun 30, 2018.

1. LaneAcadia

LaneAcadia Member

I've found one matching dish and one footed jar in various image searches, but I can't locate the original source of either of those photos. Reverse image search has been useless for both.

When unpacking some of my late grandmother's dinnerware, I found this unusual dish. It's clearly hand-painted, since the brush strokes on the flowers are palpable under the glaze. The gold moriage details stand out in sharp relief and are irregular; they do not appear mechanically applied in any way. The gilding shows some signs of light wear, and the wear on the gilded edge of the plate is a bit more extensive. However, the condition is overall very good. There are also tiny white accents on the white lines in the pink-and-white diamond pattern near the center of the plate.

From my very limited knowledge, my best guess was that this was a Nippon piece (or at least created in that style). But the back is completely unmarked, and after two days of heavy online searching, the two photos I mentioned above are the only matches I've found -- and even those have come with absolutely no useful identifying information. I can't even find an official "pattern" that matches the design.

I would be grateful for ANY info on this piece. It's hard to even know where to start with it, because I don't want to bring it to just any appraiser, or to have it appraised without at least a baseline for comparison.

Attached Files:

Any Jewelry and Aquitaine like this.
  2. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Welcome to our forum!! :happy::happy::happy:

A photo of the back might still help us out even though it is not marked. Sometimes the pieces have some raised areas that can help us identify it as Nippon versus RS Prussia.

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Why do you feel the need for an appraisal?
    Ahh...nevermind...

Start here...
    Give us clear pics of the front and back...& a close up of the front where you mention details....
    We'll take it from there...........:happy::happy::happy:

LaneAcadia and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. LaneAcadia

LaneAcadia Member

Thank you, Peggy! I didn't realize you could still get useful information from the back. I'll attach the best picture I have (the plate is at my parents' house, so I'm working with what I have). There are some very tiny "pits" in the center that probably don't show in the photo. I think the slightly darker mark is just something that may have dripped or smudged onto the back. I looked very, very hard to make sure there was no "order" to it.

Hi, komokwa! I'll see if I can put a better copy of the close-up photo on this post, and I'm including the back as well. I have no idea if this plate is especially valuable, but most of what I've kept from my grandmother has been sentimental -- photographs, letters, and few little trinkets. Unfortunately, I just don't have room to keep everything. I wish I could. More than anything, I wish I could ask her about this piece! I'd love to know what value it had to her. :)

Thanks for looking! Plate 2.jpg

komokwa and Aquitaine like this.
  5. LaneAcadia

LaneAcadia Member

Ugh, I forgot the back. IMG_6803.jpg

komokwa likes this.
  6. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I think your plate is Japanese in origin. Late 1800s, maybe before the Nippon era, which would be 1891-1921ish.

Not Moriage, as it isn't slip. Enamel beading.
    Hand painted as you've already said.
    Cake or dessert plate with the two handles.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
    kentworld, LaneAcadia, judy and 3 others like this.
  7. clutteredcloset49

I found a bowl very similar.
    The asking price I think is way out of line. Nippon prices have dropped in the last few years.

I think your plate is of better quality than most and if you want to search for a maker, I would be looking at Morimura.

Go down to #2492. If you are looking for insurance value, use their price. If you are looking to sell, I wouldn't be anywhere near that price.

http://www.efineantiques.com/webpages/old_nippon.htm

cxgirl, LaneAcadia, judy and 3 others like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum LaneAcadia.

9. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Welcome to Antiquers LaneAcadia!

LaneAcadia and clutteredcloset49 like this.
  10. clutteredcloset49

Oh, sorry, I forgot my manners. Welcome to the board.

LaneAcadia likes this.
  11. LaneAcadia

LaneAcadia Member

Thank you for the welcome, Judy and Any Jewelry! I'm glad to be here, and hopefully I can be of assistance myself in a few areas.

clutteredcloset49, you've been a wealth of information! I really appreciate your time and expertise and bow to your superior research skills in finding that similar dish. You're right; other than the few yellow flowers, the pattern is identical and that source is the first that has even suggested a ballpark value (inflated or otherwise). Though the ultimate decision of whether to keep the plate belongs to my mother as the only surviving child, she's incredibly grateful for the information. It's helped her feel more comfortable about keeping (and possibly insuring) this piece and letting go of other items instead. I still want to learn as much as I can about the provenance and who it originally belonged to, but that's a much less frustrating process when I feel like I've been given a solid base to work from. Thank you again for your help, and for the welcome!

Draft saved Draft deleted