Featured Please help with gemstone ID for 14K pendant

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by MTswirls, Oct 27, 2019.

1. MTswirls

MTswirls Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to figure out what this green gemstone is. It kind of looks like chrysoprase and it kind of looks like turquoise, but I dont think either of those are right. I tested the small white and black stones and they are diamonds. I also tested the metal and it is 14K white gold. Also, does anyone know what the stamp "SF" means? This pendant is hallmarked "SF", and I also have another pendant that has the same mark. I couldn't find anything related to "SF" online though. The last photo shows the back of the stone which is unpolished. Do you guys think this would be considered a
    lavalier pendant?

Thank you for the help!

IMG_0074.jpeg IMG_0077.jpeg IMG_0070.jpeg IMG_0087.jpeg IMG_0085.jpeg

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Is the stone lightly speckled? Or is that a lighting artifact?

scoutshouse and MTswirls like this.
  3. MTswirls

It is lightly speckled in person just the way it is in the photos. It also has a round light spot towards the top in the center on the larger stone- the second and third picture show it best. I took the photos outside in the sunlight.

Christmasjoy, Bronwen and scoutshouse like this.
  4. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

5. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

I see an opaque stone, so not chysoprase nor aventurine:cyclops:
    Thinking green turquoise.

6. MTswirls

Yes, it is totally opaque. I guess at this point green turquoise does seem like the best match. I'm not used to seeing turquoise set in gold with diamonds, but I know it is sometimes. I suppose chrysoprase wouldn't actually be an option either since the stone is opaque.

7. MTswirls

It is similar to aventurine, but it is not translucent. By the way, the cat in your picture is very cute!

kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  8. Bronwen

It doesn't look right to me for any of the stones we've come up with & not for jade either. If it weren't for gold & diamonds, I'd suggest glass. Do you think when you have sunlight again you could get a tighter photo of the back of the drop with as little of the setting obscuring it as possible? It may tell a different story.

9. MTswirls

I'm also having a hard time feeling certain about any of the mentioned possibilties. I'm not very familiar with gemstones, but these really don't look like anything I can think of! Yes, I will try to post some pictures of the backside under sunlight tomorrow.

Bronwen, kyratango and Christmasjoy like this.
  10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Lovely pendant, MT. The stone could be amazonite, with those whitish specks. Amazonite, though mostly turquoisy in colour, can be green, and it can be either translucent or opaque.
    The black stones could be sapphires or zircons.
    I keep thinking I am looking at a single earring, but it is a pendant.;)

I have SF marked earrings. I looked up the mark years ago, can't remember the name, but it was a designer whose initials were not SF. She did her first work in San Francisco, which is where the initials could stem from. She started in the 1980s I think.
    Unfortunately I lost the details in a computer crash.:(

judy, Bronwen, MTswirls and 1 other person like this.
  11. MTswirls

Hmm I didn't know amazonite could be opaque! It does look really similar to some pieces of opaque amazonite on google images. It really does look like some sort of earring without a chain, but it comes together so nicely when its hanging from a chain. I love the drop pendant style. The black stones tested as diamonds with a heat conducting tester I have. When I use it on zircons or sapphires the meter doesn't reach the level 10 required for diamonds. I will have to keep searching on the stamp. I will try to see if I can find any pieces for sale with the same stamp to see if that leads me anywhere. Thank you for your help :)

12. wenna

wenna Well-Known Member

Does Marjorie Baer ring any bells @Any Jewelry ? I had a belt of hers (which I sold). And also recently picked up something else by her...unfortunately I don't remember what the item is (earrings probably). The belt was marked Baer SF.

13. MTswirls

@Bronwen I don't know if these photos will tell much. They are not the best quality, but they are the clearest my phone can get with a 10X magnification loop in front of the lens. In the second photo you can see a sandy color along the bottom of the stone near the bezel. I thought that was interesting.The last photo is just another close up of the spots on the front of the stone.

IMG_0728.jpeg IMG_0726.jpeg IMG_0730.jpeg IMG_0734.jpeg

Any Jewelry, kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  14. Bronwen

Color of the back is consistent with turquoise, which ranges from sky blue through various blue-greens, to, as kyra mentions, green. Turquoise often enough has inclusions, but I have not before seen material with these little pale fleck, which is of course no guarantee that it doesn't exist. Would you agree that the front of the cabochon is shiny but not glassy? I'm definitely leaning toward turquoise.

MTswirls and kyratango like this.
  15. Bronwen

Oh, & it's not quite what I would consider a lavalier. Think I would call it something like a pendant drop.

judy, MTswirls and kyratango like this.
  16. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I think that could be it, thanks Wenna. Although when I googled her I saw completely different jewellery, and a lot of brass.:confused: My earrings are sterling and gemstones, the style is reminiscent of Art Deco.

MTswirls and wenna like this.
  17. MTswirls

Yes, I would agree that the cabochon falls under shiny over glassy for the finish. I think turquoise makes the most sense and is the best bet for this drop pendant necklace. Thank you for all your help :)

Any Jewelry, kyratango and Bronwen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted