Please help with info on these interesting brass? Pepper shakers

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Elsa Pieterse, Mar 6, 2021.

1. Elsa Pieterse

Elsa Pieterse Active Member

PicsArt_03-06-01.18.19.jpg PicsArt_03-06-01.18.35.jpg PicsArt_03-06-01.18.51.jpg Hi all.

Please help with any info on these very interesting pepper shakers. They are screw-on, brass, I can't identify the other metal??
    Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards. Elsa

pearlsnblume and judy like this.
  2. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Possibly inlaid with Mother of Pearl?

Figtree3, Aquitaine, judy and 2 others like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Hard to tell from photographs. If they're translucent, I would expect them to be capiz shell (in which case, they'd be little imports from the Philippines.)

Debora

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
    Figtree3 and Elsa Pieterse like this.
  4. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I agree, India. They are probably still making them, but they are certainly cute.

6. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

7. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

"In the style of Towle Silversmiths"? Where did you find that, Anti?

Figtree3 likes this.
  8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I’ll vote for MOP........

59FBEE22-9150-4E37-A3D4-6514DD50A576.jpeg

9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

i think the pitting inside indicates salt...not pepper.......

Figtree3 and antidiem like this.
  10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I've had those with a made in India label.

Figtree3 likes this.
  11. antidiem

I have seen Towle use abalone shell bits before, so I looked at more pictures, looking for it made in brass. Towle Silversmith abalone stuff looks similar. Have you looked? Do you disagree? I believe Towle has been around a very long time, I didn't say these are "Towle" though. Why would you nit-pick my efforts? Bakersgma?

12. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

That was in no way intended as a nitpick. I sincerely have never seen Towle shakers with shell and brass decoration. And I did not see one in the link to picclick (although it was such a huge list, maybe I did not look far enough.)

I know you weren't saying they were by Towle, just "in the style of." Yes Towle has been around time, I used to live in the city they started in and were still there when I lived there in the 70s. I've seen a whole lot of Towle in my life and own a bunch too.

I will look again, but it would be a whole lot easier if you linked one you are aware of.

13. antidiem

No, I cannot link you to any specific Towle design for shakers, just general style of how Towle used square abalone chips. Apologies for any misunderstanding I may have caused to say "in the style of" but that is what it looks like to me, a non-area resident. I see Towle stuff in our Goodwill from time to time.

14. antidiem

15. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I like the shakers... but viewing the insides, I would never use something food related in them. :)

Bakersgma, Aquitaine and antidiem like this.