Please help with Russian/Ukrainian samovar

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by ScottR, May 20, 2022.

1. ScottR

ScottR New Member

Hello. I recently dug my grandmother's samovar out from storage; it had bounced around (sometimes literally, unfortunately) between various family members. I'd like to get it restored while avoiding "over" restoration.

First off, I was hoping to get some info about some various stamps on on, which are somewhat faded--presumably in part from overzealous polishing in the past. They're in Cyrillic, of course. My grandmother was from Ukraine, though I don't know the provenance of her samovar.

Also, I'm trying to find someone to restore it. Considering that I'm in the NY Metro area (Long Island) I'm having surprising difficulty in finding someone who specializes in samovar restoration; I did find a place named "The Lower East Side Restoration Project" that has a website chock-full of samovar restoration, but ironically they're in LA, and I'm not thrilled by the idea of shipping the item there. Anyone know of a good restorer in this area? I did find a place in Queens that, when prompted, says they've done many, but I don't have independent corroboration.

The final issue is that I don't know what to ask for with the restoration. I want to preserve its history as much as possible. I think it's reasonable to address dents, and the corrosion on the inside and underside. Is is even possible to bring the stamps back--and would I want to? What about the overall finish?

front.jpg

front-close.jpg

lid.jpg base.jpg
    base-bottom.jpg inside.jpg

Last edited: May 20, 2022
  2. ZeeFinds

ZeeFinds Active Member

My friends are Ukraine immigrants who are now citizens. They live in Costa Mesa, CA and we met while we all lived in Santa Cruz a few years ago. When they were selected via lottery for the work visas or such they got on a plane to Sacramento with a suitcase and no jobs looking for a better life. Pavlo (goes by Pasha) found work in Sac and then he and Katya moved to Santa Cruz because of his print technology degree and now works for Minolta as a repair technician. Best friends we've ever had.

Just saying, check Sacramento because I know first-hand that it is home to one of the largest populations per capita of Ukrainians. I'm just north of there in Chico. I also lived in Portland, OR and there's a lot of them there too around the SE 122nd Ave neighborhood. I would look into both of those cities if you are willing to ship it for restoration. Good luck.

Last edited: May 20, 2022
    judy likes this.
  3. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

That's a beautiful samovar! And well worth restoring, especially if it's a family heirloom. Removing dents shouldn't be too difficult. Whether you decide to restore beyond that point is up to you.

Do you intend to USE it? If so, you'd have to make sure that the firebox can still take a fire, and that there aren't any leaks anywhere.

4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I can't help, but have a question......WHY so MANY stamps going around it??????????? JUST curious!!!

judy likes this.
  5. Born2it

Born2it Well-Known Member

Good for you, trying to do the right thing. Maybe try asking at a museum if they can recommend anyone? Or at a pawnshop. There’s got to be someone in Brighton Beach who can respectfully repair a Samovar.

Aquitaine and judy like this.
  6. Shangas

The stamps represent the awards and prizes won at trade-shows and industrial fairs, etc. I've seen a lot of them on the cases of old pocketwatches. It was to prove that you were buying a product from a company that was literally a prize-winner, and that you weren't buying junk.

Any Jewelry, Born2it, judy and 4 others like this.
  7. ZeeFinds

ZeeFinds Active Member

Pasha said it is perhaps ceremonial, given all the stamps, not a usual one, more of a special occasion item for specific events, a retirement, anniversary, etc. He said it's more like an award than a useful tea pot, is how he described it to me on the phone and given English is his second language. Or he meant that the stamps are awards given over the years.

Last edited: May 21, 2022
    judy likes this.
  8. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

The samovar was made in Tula, Russia. That city was a major manufacturing site for samovars. I see "Tula" in your photos, and also see the Batashev name. The Batashev family were well known for the excellent samovars they made in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. I believe I see the name Pavel Batashev on yours. I'm using my phone right now and can't make out all of the impressed printing, some of which is worn.

As mentioned by others, the circular stamps are generally for different awards won by the company. They were stamped on samovars that were made after the date of the award. So if these have dates, you can assume the samovar was manufactured some time after the latest date. I collect antique photographs. In the late 19th century some of the more prominent photographers printed these sorts of "award" or "prize" stamps on the backs of cabinet cards. It was a trend with many products during that time.

We have had a few discussions of samovars on this site. You can find them by using the search box on the upper right. Also, if you do an internet search of the Batashev family and samovars you'll find interesting info. Also look for Tula and samovars.

I don't live in the New York area and can't help with that part of the question. I hope you find somebody!

9. ScottR

ScottR New Member

Thanks for the replies. I suppose another question is, what should I *not* be doing as part of the restoration--i.e., I assume the restorer might suggest all sorts of things to make it bright and shiny. I'm worried less about the monetary value than I am taking away from its history.

Being able to use it would be neat but not important.

Any Jewelry, judy and Figtree3 like this.
  10. Shangas

It's worth remembering that when these things were new, they would've been polished until they blinded you with the glare. So you're not going to devalue anything by having it polished. The same goes for silverware.

I honestly have NO idea why people think polishing brass and silver causes the value to crash through the floor. It's the stupidest antiques myth I've ever heard.

11. ScottR

ScottR New Member

It's not a matter of it being polished on it's own, it's a matter of what other detail might be lost in doing so. How much of the remaining stamp detail might be polished away, in removing patina? That seemed an obvious issue to me, so I didn't know what nonobvious issues I'm missing.

Last edited: May 22, 2022
    Born2it, Figtree3 and judy like this.
  12. Shangas

If you do decide to polish it, the important thing is not to use anything really abrasive, if you don't want to lose any of the details. The go-to product is usually something like Brasso, but any liquid metal-polish will generally do. If you want to be really gentle, I have even used olive oil.

Born2it, judy, Figtree3 and 1 other person like this.
  13. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Beautiful, and a good, respectful project.
    And be sure to rinse any residue off, so you don't have any ugly white gunk in the crevices. Dry it well afterwards.

judy, Bakersgma and Figtree3 like this.
  14. ScottR

ScottR New Member

Well, I'm likely to bring it in to be restored, because of the dents and corrosion. It's just a matter of working out all of what I want done.

judy, Born2it and Any Jewelry like this.
  15. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

In addition to Figtree3 excellent explanation, the names of three brothers Batashev are inscribed - Vasily, Alexander and Pavel. The righthand stamp says "for hard labour and artistic achievements, 1870" (free translation). A beautiful piece, indeed.

Born2it, verybrad, Figtree3 and 3 others like this.
  16. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Welcome to Antiquers, @IvaPan !

judy and IvaPan like this.
  17. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

komokwa, Figtree3 and judy like this.