Featured Please id & date two high wooden sculptures

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Gianluca72, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Gianluca72

Gianluca72 Well-Known Member

Hello friends,

at a Roman auction house, I noticed that many in the hall were bidding so much interested at these two wooden sculptures,
    ... and in my ignorance, I let myself be influenced by the interest of others, and I won the auction. ( Do not ask me the price please :) )
    After winning the auction, many of those who had made offers, looked at me frantically, so I guess I did maybe a good deal, lol.
    They are huge, and very heavy, forgive the photos, but it was very difficult to make them, given the clutter.
    A particularity that could help in the identification and in the dating: on the left side of one of the two sculptures, there is an old label, as in the picture.
    I thank everyone for your help in identifying and dating these two elements.
    Even on the top of one of them, it seems to me that there is an incision, a text, but it is worn out and not readable.

The shortest, (wider):

height
    cm 92.5 without hook
    95.5 cm with hook

width
    17 cm

weight
    about KG 6.5

-----

the highest, (thinner):

height
    115 cm without hook
    117 cm with hook

width
    12 cm

weight
    about KG 3

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

scoutshouse, Christmasjoy and cxgirl like this.
  2. Gianluca72

3. NewEngland

NewEngland Well-Known Member

Very interesting pieces. What were they described as in the auction catalog? The auction house must have given you some idea as to origin and age. The label "Atlantic Transports" could have been the Atlantic Transport Line shipping company (1881-1931).

scoutshouse, Christmasjoy and cxgirl like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Oh dear.
    :muted::muted::muted:

They look like naive carvings based on Medieval European tombstones. The crossed legs appear on the tombstones of Knights Templar, which may have been why others were bidding. People go mad when there is a Knights Templar connection. But why a woman?
    This is all speculation though.

Cast of the tombstone of sir Robert de Roos 1227.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

7. NewEngland

If the buyer was deceived into believing these are ancient carvings rather than 1960s decorative pieces, does he have any recourse? I hope there is at least "Yelp" in Italy so he can leave a review of his experience with the auction house.

Lesson to be learned: Don't bid unless you are sure of what you're bidding on.

8. Gianluca72

scoutshouse and Christmasjoy like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

If you look at the listing itself, it says the painter was born in 1924, but the painting was painted in 1961. I believe he is still alive.

10. Gianluca72

Translated in English is like "two important carved tribal wood sculptures" (and then the measures that you know

11. Gianluca72

Ahhhh ok ok

12. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

13. NewEngland

I would bring them to a local museum or antique dealer and see what they have to say. If they are just decorative pieces, you should go back to the auction house. I hope you used your credit card to pay!

14. Gianluca72

so from your point of view what could be the origin? And why were they transported by a French company? also the attribution of the date of the 60s It does not seem bad.
    I'm very interested in understanding why everyone was betting on these sculptures and I had to sweat a lot to overtake them...

15. Gianluca72

I don't understand you before you say that they are very interesting pieces and now it seems you are having Fun

16. Gianluca72

I repeat and I ask you to believe me on the trust that there were 4 people who continued to fight upward to win this Lotto and the moment I broke in and I started to raise they got annoyed and have continued to raise the bet But then I managed to win the hammer auction And I think there should be a valid reason for all this, otherwise or we were 5 stupid, or We were four experts and an adventurer

17. Any Jewelry

Gian, it looks like honest advice to me.

18. i need help

The one with the spoon, is the “whitish” collar carved or something applied?

19. Gianluca72

it's a carved collar

20. i need help

Ok thank you, it looked different maybe light reflection.

Draft saved Draft deleted