Please identify maker, vaseline - opalescent glass in wrought iron stand.

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Dhone, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Dhone

Dhone New Member

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

I have had this piece for several years and have never been able to match it to its maker. I have found similar wrought iron opalescent pieces contributed to James Powell. Could this piece be one of his? Any information or help is appreciated! Here is additional information for identification purposes.

9 inches tall
    7 to 8 inches wide
    The metal has never been polished, it is assumed that the flowers may have gold plate.
    The black wrought iron has a sheen to it, it appears almost waxy?
    The blown glass cane was cut or broke off , it was never ground and it fits/nests inside the bottom flower as shown in photo 3
    The very bottom of the base attaches the top part of the flower to the bottom part of the flower with a square nut.
    The glass glows vibrantly under black light.

Thanks in advance for any info!

2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

The base reads newer to me,so Im wondering if this was a treasured piece that got broken and someone either found or had the base made? Its very pretty either way.

Dhone likes this.
  3. Dhone

Dhone New Member

Thank you Johnny! I collect Vaseline glass and picked this one up because I was fascinated at how different it is. I really feel like it isn't a marriage....only because the bottom flower is made to house the bottom cut cane like in picture 1? I may have confused everyone with pic 3. I was actually holding it up to show how it sits in the flower below. My hand just isn't in the picture. Sorry for the confusion, and thank you so much for the help!

Attached Files:

• 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      73.2 KB
      Views:
    Christmasjoy likes this.
  4. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Cannot speak to the glass, but agree that the base is not older. I would put the base at 1970's to present, probably on the more recent end. James Powell did hammered wrought iron in the Arts and Crafts era. There would never have been gold flowers like these or plastic coated metal. In short, not an early 20th century piece.

The waxy part mentioned seems coated with a rubber or plastic ...maybe designed to cushion/protect the glass?

So if not a marriage, would surmise that the whole thing is newer.

I do like the colors in the glass.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  5. msgood2shoe

msgood2shoe Well-Known Member

All I can say is that it looks green rather than yellow in the pics. If so, not really vaseline glass, but more properly termed uranium glass, that is if it glows under backlight.

"If it's green, it ain't vaseline"

Dhone and komokwa like this.
  6. Dhone

Dhone New Member

Pardon the confusion. I am not being clear with my descriptions. I regretfully have the tendency to call everything vaseline glass when it shouldn't be. It is opalescent glass. The metal isn't coated in plastic. I meant coated as in painted black. I have collected antiques for 25 years and there is no doubt at all that it is not from 1970. The bottom flower of the vase is attached by a now fused rusted square nut. The flowers I did not say were gold. It was a guess, just don't know of a metal that would not tarnish completely after so long. Maybe they sealed the metal part too? Thank you for the response, and again I apologize for any confusion!

Christmasjoy likes this.
  7. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

the opalescent motif looks like what is often called 'seaweed' from EAPG/Victorian era. The 'cage' appears to be more recent vintage and not original to the glass; a nice salvage/reuse to display cherished broken glass.

Dhone likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted