Featured Please tell me about pocket watches!

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by KSW, Nov 20, 2020.

1. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I was looking for a GWR railway watch for my partners 50th birthday and posted in the wanted section and have been looking at auctions but I am coming to the conclusion that I am not going to find what I want in time so I am widening the search to others but I am way out of my knowledge comfort zone. It must be working but I don’t mind if it needs cleaning and servicing.
    I like this one as it’s slightly unusual but what should I look for or avoid?
    I don’t like new or gold plated and nothing girly!.
    Thankyou for any advice so I don’t make an expensive mistake!
    I’ve got until February........:nailbiting:
    C60CC8FC-8250-4AA9-A28C-232FDEF4D6EB.jpeg 743DBB0E-E132-40E4-820D-726DDECE59DB.png 37D536B9-FB83-4EBB-A7BE-936F8DA32376.png AE2B05E9-5237-4C01-AD72-E18213E8DFE5.png D4579B39-4EE0-4720-A3EC-09B56BCF1C83.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
  2. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

3. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Thanks for looking Davey.
    That link doesn’t work but I think I know which one it is as there is only one on there at the moment. £450 seems a bit steep as it’s nickel (which I know most of the railway ones are)and got a chip in the crystal and cracked face. Thats why I was looking at alternatives to see if I can get something better for the money.

4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

KSW likes this.
  5. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Thanks for looking :)
    I was after a station watch which have numbers engraved on the back relating to the station where it was used.
    I really appreciate you taking time to look though. I agree most are modern cheap ones.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I found a case on the UK site, but it was in the SOLD section.(sigh)

KSW likes this.
  7. Gus Tuason

Gus Tuason Well-Known Member

The one that you are looking at is definitely not a RR watch. A RR watch would have 15+ jewels; adjusted to five positions: have arabic numerals; be lever set; be 16 size or greater; and open faced. To set the watch the bezel would have to be unscrewed to access the lever. Most of the working models were encased in a plain nickel case. The RR's usually had a list of the makers and models acceptable to their lines. Upon retirement a worker many times would have his watch re-cased to something fancier. To make matters worse the manufacturers would sell to the public "RR grade" watches. A "good" RR watch sells from $300 to $1000. An excellent one can be had for about $500. To qualify my comments I must say that these are the qualifications for the U.S.

KSW likes this.
  8. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Thanks Gus!.
    I was looking at the one above as an alternative as I can’t find a suitable railway watch. I know this hexagonal one isn’t a railway watch but as I can’t find one I was looking at non- railway alternatives and wanted some advice as to what to avoid or what to look for.
    It’s such a minefield!

9. Gus Tuason

Gus Tuason Well-Known Member

The one you show is a nice looking watch with the case being 9K but ...... there does not appear to be any markings on the works which is unusual for a gold cased watch. I count 4 jewels which would indicate a 9, 10 or 11 jeweled watch. The face is nice but not in sinc with quality case? I also like the looks of this watch but I would be leery of paying very much over the scrap value of the gold.

KSW likes this.
  10. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Thanks Gus!.
    It’s sold now anyway (£150) Please are you able to give me any pointers that I should be looking for or questions to ask sellers?. Looking at up to £350 or a bit more for the right one.

Draft saved Draft deleted