Featured Please tell me I found something good :-) Coral

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by KSW, Feb 20, 2020.

1. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I hope so!
    Spotted this clasp in a job lot together with the brooch and some other lovely necklaces.
    Necklace has been restrung so I don’t know if the faceted coral and the clasp started out together or have been married.
    The small green beads are glass but the larger ones are another as yet unidentified green gemstone :confused:.
    Do the facets help date the beads?

The clasp tests at around 18k using my amateur deduction. The brooch is GP base metal with possibly a replacement pin of unknown metal- the acid went browner not red but the test streak metal went all flakey in suspension which I’ve not seen before.
    Id love to hear how old you think the coral beads or clasp are and the brooch. Will need to be restrung with knots but do these beads go together?!.
    Almost don’t dare to ask about what the green beads could be!
    Thanks for looking :)

6C1E6872-2861-4966-82D5-CB35D6C14278.jpeg 913CDF57-FB59-4FEB-A9BE-BBAE1BD5D5F7.jpeg C04FB8EB-B483-4A86-A7C4-7270DB4ABF87.jpeg 067C2FDB-653C-41FD-B069-4B37801036CD.jpeg 60F0985E-C300-4EEA-9216-7DFEB62099E3.jpeg 59198918-6036-4CF2-8E65-BC58B166134C.jpeg 8C971D38-DF3E-4C6D-B7D1-D77DA937F8EC.jpeg 9539B68A-FC88-4A74-A4E0-16BEBFEF3181.jpeg

2. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

3. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Woahh! Not only good for the coral beads in the necklace... Excellent!:joyful:
    1820s clasp and facetted beads as on this era tiara/combs:woot:
    The green beads have nothing to do with them, modern restrung. Biggest seem to by the famous green dyed agate, smallest are glass (uneven rough shape:cyclops:).
    The brooch is old coral too, but less exciting to me;)

4. kyratango

Ha, just read your description:facepalm:, you got the main points:)

Any Jewelry, judy, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  5. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Yay, I'm learning from good teachers!. It was on a buy it now and I couldn't hit the button quickly enough as it wasn't much money for what I thought it was. There are some stunning carnelian and Amethyst faceted beads in it too I will post tomorrow as I've flooded the forum tonight. Whoever it came from had some really beautiful beads but restrung them with mostly cheap modern clasps.

So I can cheerfully ditch the green beads and use what?, faceted glass?, rock crystal? Pearls?. My stock of 1820 beads is a trifle low at the moment :hilarious:. In fact I don't think I have anything that old.
    How old is old for the brooch do you think?
    Thankyou :happy:

Any Jewelry, judy, Figtree3 and 3 others like this.
  6. kyratango

anundverkaufen, Bronwen, KSW and 4 others like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Gorgeous coral, Med red, faceted beads, OLD!!!:happy: I'm with kyra on the dates, brooch 1860s I think.
    Great photos, K!:)

Bronwen, KSW, Houseful and 1 other person like this.
  8. Vintage Maven

Vintage Maven Well-Known Member

Classic, and beautiful, I think, but I like beads. ❤️Maven

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
  9. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Thankyou Maven. Beads are just wonderful, such craftsmanship and care goes into some of them and they are so versatile and beautiful.

10. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Thankyou M!. I wouldn't have spotted them without help from you,Kyra and others on the forum :happy:.
    (Talking of which, I'm having @Jivvy withdrawal symptoms again, I hope she is making good progress, have you heard from her?)
    There aren't quite enough beads to make up a complete necklace- are there any type of beads that traditionally went with coral or were used back then?.I'll restring them as those green beads are not complimentary. Pearls?, proper ones,not faux.
    Is it ok that the clasp isn't hallmarked?. Would that be because of the age or because the clasp is small?.
    Amazing to think they were made 200 years ago!

Bronwen, kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

I have been thinking about her a lot lately and all day today. I have been meaning to ask @Bronwen , her forum contact. Bronwen, any news? I hope she hasn't had another health issue, she was only just recovering.

KikoBlueEyes, kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  12. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I have not had contact & have also been wondering with concern. I can imagine relatively benign reasons for not having time/energy for her typically enthusiastic participation here. Hate to nudge at her if she's not well. :(

13. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

She’s missed. Maybe a little note just to say we miss her and hope she’s on the mend?

14. Any Jewelry

I understand.
    And maybe add that she doesn't have to reply, just that we are thinking of her?

KikoBlueEyes and KSW like this.
  15. kyratango

I feel too a strong Jivvy withdrawal...:(

I'd complement the length needed with old coral chips, you may find them cheap in broken necklaces:) like those:
    https://picclick.co.uk/Lot-22g-Vintage-Genuine-Natural-Coral-Beads-For-352972557395.html
    All coral is what would look as close as original:(

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
    KSW and Any Jewelry like this.
  16. Any Jewelry

Old coral branches maybe? I mean those short branches that were also used at the time of the original necklace. And later as well, which makes them easy to find at a car boot sale etc. As long as they look old, no modern .... .

KSW and kyratango like this.
  17. kyratango

18. kyratango

19. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
  20. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

@Any Jewelry and @kyratango I know we don't do values on here but I suspect these are worth doing properly?. I'm not keen on the branch coral, I've put some bits next to the faceted beads and they look like a frumpy cousin. It would be expensive to do them with 9ct gold beads but if they deserve it and the return would be good then it's worth it.
    I'll see if I can find a reasonably priced supplier.
    Not that I'm good at selling things I like but looking long term if I was to sell them would it be a reasonable investment to use some 9ct beads, maybe spaced with some seed pearls?. I've been practising my knotting and French wire!
    Before and after- every bead is knotted- the pink and yellow are original, the rest salvaged from a faux pearl necklace.
    FullSizeRender.jpg FullSizeRender.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted