Featured Pocket Watches Help Needed

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by cxgirl, May 6, 2015.

1. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

I'm working on getting my pocket watches photographed so I can get some help with them.
    The first one has an Omega movement with 2 sets of numbers 1838950 & 8760. Looking up serial numbers I believe this was made between 1900-01, no idea what the other numbers are for.
    The winder works and you can set the time but it doesn't run. Does the Omega movement make it more valuable? Not sure if this would be worth repairing or selling as is.
    Has the name Wm Blakely jeweller Brighton Ontario on the face and the movement - so maybe an advertising piece?
    Marked Silveroid on the case.
    Any information appreciated.
    DSC04061.jpg DSC04045.jpg DSC04046.jpg DSC04047.jpg DSC04050.jpg DSC04049.jpg

2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Who knew Brighton, Ontario had a watchmaker? It was (and pretty much still is) a small town. In fact, it didn't achieve "town" status until 1980.

KingofThings likes this.
  3. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

No more advertising than having the car dealer's name on your car

You could spend $700 on repairs to have a $200 watch

I would think you'd be lucky to get over $25 for it as is

KingofThings likes this.
  4. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

The dial has been damaged by being wrenched off without releasing the dial feet first, which was probably the point at which the seconds hand was lost.

THe name on the dial would be a retail jeweller who ordered a small batch of watches with their own details on them, a very common practice since the local man would be a known quantity and what would now be the internationally known brand name would generally mean nothing.

At present I'd class it as 'relic' status. If the balance staff is OK, some enthusiast might want it to work on or cannibalise, but proper restoration would cost more than the value when complete.

It is a run of the mill watch from a good but not outstanding maker.

KingofThings and gregsglass like this.
  5. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

:p I wonder who the clownfart was who damaged and ruined this. What an E-jit. :(

Messilane likes this.
  6. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Nice, close-up photos, CX.

I agree, list as for repair/parts. If nothing else, people are buying old watches for art projects, etc.

KingofThings likes this.
  7. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Do a search for Steampunk or Steam Punk on Ebay and see how many watch parts you can identify on the jewelry.

KingofThings likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted