Polish or not??

Discussion in 'Art' started by Laura1969, Oct 15, 2020.

1. Laura1969

Laura1969 Active Member

I have a lot of old silver and gold pieces that need to be shined. I've read some things that say you take the value away if you polish them?? What are anyone's feelings on this? can I pull out the toothpaste and go to town??:p

judy and kyratango like this.
  2. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

What type of pieces? Jewelry,silverware,cups,Etc....

judy, kyratango and i need help like this.
  3. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Please nothing harsh like toothpaste or other homemade ideas, you have quality objects.
    There are several threads on recommendations, you can do a search.

4. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

And no Tarnex!!!!! It's way too harsh :eek:

5. Laura1969

Laura1969 Active Member

Ok, I was kind of teasing about the toothpaste .. However, I do remember spending Saturday mornings if I was in trouble polishing my mother's silverware with toothpaste..hehe. So, here are some of the silver items I want to polish. Do you see any that would take away from the value?? 42D19173-7A84-4E9F-A08D-867A5E691058.jpeg 9E3D33CF-ED26-4D9E-A931-09F1481F41CF.jpeg

6. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I doubt the little figurines would turn out better polished. Are those Dutch girls?

I am NOT the one who likes to polish silver. Ever. As in Never Ever.

That being said, there are members who will know the answers to the rest of the items.

judy likes this.
  7. Laura1969

Laura1969 Active Member

It's several sets.. one is a kissing Dutch boy and girl set. I would love to shine it all up but my husband told me I needed to make sure I wasn't going to take away the value.

judy likes this.
  8. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I am of a belief that silver is meant to be polished, tarnish is damage and should be removed. The only time I can think of that polishing would take away value is if the item is over polished and recessed areas that were originally darkened by the original maker as part of the design are no longer dark.

I also know that tarnish can cover marks and/or damage, polishing makes it easier to see both.

JMHO

PS I love those salts with blue glass inserts!

9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Agree that tarnish is damage. And will do the item less and less good over time.

Debora

Aquitaine and Laura1969 like this.
  10. Laura1969

Laura1969 Active Member

Thankyou!! I'm gonna pick up some silver polish! I just want it all to shinen in my cabinet!

Aquitaine and judy like this.
  11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Do you know a good brand? Sure someone on the forum can recommend the best choice.

Debora

12. Laura1969

Laura1969 Active Member

No I don't.. I'm the fool that really thought toothpaste was ok..LOL I'll search the forum for good silver polish ..

13. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Good idea. Lots of good advice from those in the know. (Not me.)

Debora

judy likes this.
  14. antidiem

Are the Dutch kids sets solid silver? I always thought those things were pretty loosely silver plated. It will be good to find out one way or another. :happy:

Fid and judy like this.
  15. Laura1969

Laura1969 Active Member

No, not solid silver.. they have 800 stamped on the bottom..

judy and kyratango like this.
  16. antidiem

Yah, I'd not polish those.

judy likes this.
  17. antidiem

There used to be a thing called a "Sunshine Cloth" to polish silver, was very soft. I might use one of those on the highlights, but not try to clean the figurines much.

Fid, Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
  18. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

800 is 'solid silver' (800/1000 purity) or 80% silver. It is not silver plated.

reader, Bakersgma, Fid and 1 other person like this.
  19. Laura1969

Laura1969 Active Member

Ok, so it would be ok to use a soft, safe polish?? Any suggested brand

judy likes this.
  20. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Laura, I always polish ALL of my silver! I believe that it is meant to shine!

I agree with the others that you should not OVER-polish (as in, remove the darkening within the pattern to the point that it's all gone...) but the main surfaces should be clear of tarnish.

I have 3 of the little "Dutch boy/girl" 800 silver shakers, and I polish them "as needed" (and keep them in a cabinet, behind glass, so they don't tarnish as much or as often.)

I NEVER use "dips" like Tarnex or any of the "home remedies" for polishing. I generally use Wright's Cream or Haggerty's Cream and a very soft, gentle cloth to polish.

For me, things like the "Sunshine Cloth" (or the jeweler's cloths available at most jewelry stores) simply don't do the trick for tableware or hollowware. They work quite nicely for small jewelry items, but for a larger surface, I save them for "touch-ups" after the items have been polished with silver cream and washed thoroughly to remove any residue. On larger items, they're great for working on a spot or a bit of tarnish left behind.

silver German salt+peppers 2.JPG

reader, lovewrens, Bakersgma and 7 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted