Polishing Kalo - unsure how to continue

Discussion in 'Silver' started by smallaxe, Oct 15, 2020.

1. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

Below are photos of a Kalo pattern 10 set of serving spoons. These have been handed down in my wife's family, and were likely purchased by her great grandmother in the 1920's or 30's. After realizing they are something nice, we decided to polish them and put them back into service. I've worked on one, using just a polishing cloth. I'm worried that if I continue, I will over-polish them and remove some of the hammering. But there are several problems that remain - it's hard to get the tarnish out of the hammering dented areas and it looks kind of like leopard spots, they must have had a lot of use because there are lots of little nicks and scratches, there are some areas in the bowl of the spoon that look like more than just tarnish (it looks like something acidic was left on the spoon long enough to etch some spots), and what I think is the area where the bowl was soldered to the handle on the back of the spoon is hard to get looking nice. I don't know how to proceed from here. Should I use a polishing product? Should I stop and call it good? Have I already over-polished? I'd like to work out the solution before tackling the other piece, which will be harder because of the cut edges. Help.
    spoon1.jpg spoon2.jpg spoon3.jpg spoon4.jpg

judy and kyratango like this.
  2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I always use polishing paste and an electric toothbrush for deep polishing. NEVER use tarnx ! Im not sure itd be possible to polish the hammered effect out .

judy and Sandra like this.
  3. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting this. I hadn't heard about Kalo before. No help with your question, sorry

judy likes this.
  4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Put the key words 'kalo sterling' or 'sterling kalo' into a Google search and I think you'll find it's worth some money!!!!! And some history!! The hammered is very nice!!!!

kyratango and Sandra like this.
  5. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Don't do more than you did, the hammered effect is desirable!

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted