Poole by Leonard? silver pitcher

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Jessi s, Aug 2, 2018.

1. Jessi s

Jessi s New Member

Hi,

I recently acquired this silver pitcher with the markings “Poole by Leonard”, I have researched but have been unable to find anything pertaining to this exact name. I’ve seen Poole, Leonard & also references to Towle but nothing with this exact marking . Could anyone assist me with any info about this & the particular pitcher that I have listed? Origin, age, value, etc? Any info is greatly appreciated. EF248BA9-749D-4ED5-84E1-B64753A18BED.jpeg CB3B1280-6347-4E06-8779-0F04E4F20571.jpeg

Thanks!

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Lovely pitcher, but it's silver plated not sterling (in case you didn't know.)

The mark here is a reflection of the combination of 3 companies. Poole Silver of Taunton MA was acquired by Towle in 1971. Towle also acquired Leonard Silver in 1978. But the Leonard Silver Company tradename continued to be used since Leonard Florence (the founder of Leonard) became chairman of Towle. So your pitcher dates post 1978 at least. The Poole and Towle companies had excellent and longstanding reputations, whereas Leonard was much newer and not as well known, thus you have this mark playing on the Poole reputation.

3. Bakersgma

bercrystal, Figtree3, judy and 8 others like this.
  4. Garrison

Garrison New Member

Is it worth anything?

5. Bakersgma

Plated items generally do not have any scrap value of the silver itself. And the younger generation does not want these fancy things that require polishing. You could do a search o Ebay to see whether this kind if thing sells and for how much or little.

Roshan Ko likes this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Bakersgma likes this.
  7. Garrison

Garrison New Member

Assuming this would be silver plated as well then? upload_2023-2-22_17-24-10.jpeg upload_2023-2-22_17-23-54.jpeg

8. Bakersgma

9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

indeed plated....

Draft saved Draft deleted