Featured Porcelain Bowl - Chinese or Japanese?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Bakersgma, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

While rummaging in the cabinet in which my Asian ceramics are stored, I found this bowl (that's been in there unmoved for over 12 years!) and discovered that it no longer has (if it ever had) any notes about when or where I got it or what it was represented to be. Probably had it since before '92 (which is when I pretty much stopped buying for this collection.) And it has no marks to look up on Gotheborg. So what is it? How old do you think?

It's about 7 inches in diameter. I have more pictures if necessary.

Unknown Origin Bowl Interior.jpg

Unknown Origin Bowl Exterior.jpg

Unknown Origin Bowl Bottom.jpg

Unknown Origin Bowl Rim Detail.jpg

Unknown Origin Bowl Central Design.jpg

2. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

Chinese, not sure how old it is...

Ghopper1924 and Bakersgma like this.
  3. Bakersgma

Thanks, Mat. Is it the design or something else that tells you it's Chinese?

4. Bakersgma

Bumping this up to see if anyone else has thoughts about it.

judy and James Conrad like this.
  5. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

NOT A CLUE! but, another bump can't hurt!

Bakersgma and judy like this.
  6. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

Sorry, I cannot add much, the decoration and the bottom are Chinese. I have seen a few of this type but cannot find a comparable example online right now. I have seen them dated from the Ming to the Qing dynasties, but I doubt all are as old as Ming as one I have seen had the Chinese export seal on it (and the Chinese would not let porcelain that old out of the country. One dealer described a bowl like this as a piece for new years offerings, but I never found another source for this...

Bakersgma, judy and James Conrad like this.
  7. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

I vote for Chinese as well. I'd say 18th century maybe.
    Mat, if not wrong, even if the piece is antique in some cases export is allowed. Like if there are two many examples of the speciment or the quality, design and decoration is nothing special.
    I'm afraid that even the bowl is quite old, its value is very modest.

judy and Bakersgma like this.
  8. Bakersgma

Thank you for your thoughts, Mat and Kard. And James, too, for the extra bump!

I guess I will just write a little note about its Chinese origin and possible age and leave it at that. Value doesn't really matter that much to me because I have no intention of selling it.

9. kardinalisimo

You would not sell it even if it was a six figure piece? :)
    At one point I was buying every single antique Chinese piece that I find till I realized that not everything that is hundreds years old sells good. Like everything else, Carnival, EAPG etc, it has to be rare, good qualitu and condition ...

10. Bakersgma

Well, I suppose that would enter the equation. ;)

SBSVC, judy and James Conrad like this.
  11. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

I am betting she would sell! everyone has their price & 6 figures would trip my trigger in a NY min!

Aquitaine and judy like this.
  12. kardinalisimo

You never know what a Chinese piece can bring. It can be very simple, with minimal decoration and still vary valuable.
    I bet most people not familiar with Chinese ceramics would not spend more that $10 if they see a Chenghua chicken cup. Last one sold for $36 mil.

judy likes this.
  13. Bakersgma

So what do you suggest?

14. kardinalisimo

Not much about this piece. I'm just saying in general.

15. Bakersgma

16. rhiwfield

rhiwfield Well-Known Member

If it has no sentimental value list it in an.online auction, either Ebay or one supported by Saleroom.

A tempting but accurate description should ensure that the right buyers look.

If it has value it should sell well but put a reserve price at the lowest you would need to part with it. Otoh if you want to keep it, letting the market decide is not an option ;)

17. Asian Fever

Asian Fever Well-Known Member

Late Qing Dynasty because of the dark spot on the bottom. And the wear of the bottom rim can possibly tell the age of it.
    Very likely between late 19th century or republic peroid.

James Conrad and Bakersgma like this.
  18. Bakersgma

Thank you, Asian Fever!

James Conrad likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted