Featured Porcelain Cracker Jar With Violets

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by kraftblue, Jan 10, 2019.

1. kraftblue

kraftblue Well-Known Member

Would anyone know maker of this jar?

bis1.JPG bis2.JPG bis3.JPG bis7.JPG

2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Your covered jar is Gorgeous!!!!!! With all that enamel dots i would not be shocked to find out it is Japanese around 1900. It really is beautiful.
    greg

3. kraftblue

4. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

I'm kinda with Greg. My first impression was the same but the green colouring also looks like 1900 Austrian/Thuringa vases so could be a European copy of a Japanese style. Also the flowers seem more European to me. One thing worries me is the freshness underneath which may suggest it is a brand new copy. Is the furry blob underneath a mark?
    Cheers
    Stephen

5. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I thought Austrian, early 1900s too. It's a gorgeous jar.

Figtree3, judy, i need help and 3 others like this.
  6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Some of the dots look like they're on top of the paint. The brush strokes don't look like they stop or go around the dots, unless they went right over the top and the paint didn't stick. That could be it.

7. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

8. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I agree with Greg. My vote is Nippon circa 1900.
    Don

9. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

10. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

11. kraftblue

The dots are on top, you can feel them. The mark on bottom is just a color blob. The green lines are more common with Nippon and such....from past experience.

Christmasjoy and scoutshouse like this.
  12. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

13. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

What is the size? I may need to change my vote. I found an RS Prussia mold 501 that looks a lot like it.
    Don

Christmasjoy likes this.
  14. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Well, not that I know one whit about it, but your jar certainly is Distinctive and most Definitely stands out in a crowd!!!! Absolutely Beautiful!!!!! I hope someone can identify it for you and the rest of us!!:jawdrop::jawdrop::):):) Oh, and it looks to me like all those dots were the very last hand painting that would have been added, IMHO......

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  15. kraftblue

Tall, those links are similar to mine. My jar does not have a shell border around the base.

Christmasjoy, judy and Figtree3 like this.
  16. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Sounds like there is no definitive identification to this one. I guess that is often the case with ceramics. :)

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    Christmasjoy, i need help and judy like this.
  17. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I think you're right figtree3 - I'm baffled. I have heard that RS Prussia and Nippon borrowed ideas from each other which could explain the similarity if true. RS mold 501 does have the shells along the base but RS did produce variations so...

If it were mine and I was putting it up for sale on eBay I would probably list both Nippon and RS Prussia in the title. It could very well appeal to both.
    Don

Christmasjoy, judy, Figtree3 and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted