Featured Porcelain figurine

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Mirjana, Jan 29, 2021.

1. Mirjana

Mirjana New Member

Hello,
    Found this dancing couple and fell in love...
    I cannot identify the region this couple represents. They may be Greek, Turkish, Moor, Ottoman, Baltic, Magyar, or ??? Anyone who can help, I hope you will.

Sticker states this came from the Estate of Audrey Meadows.

Approx. 11" tall, 8" wide, 4 ½" deep

Thanks

Attached Files:

ulilwitch, Houseful, patd8643 and 2 others like this.
  2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

The auction was in 1997 and had more than 4000 items.
    This looks like a continental fairing to me. Maybe Polish? His hat resembles a Czapka.

3. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

4. Van_Poperin

Van_Poperin Well-Known Member

54390F3E-441F-4798-A3E3-A6C133571C6F.jpeg B7709E34-8505-43C6-8A25-105C6105A619.jpeg

Something about their pose and the length of the girl’s skirt makes me think this is a pair or performers, perhaps in a circus, or dancers? Her hair braids date her too, earlier in the 19th century. Agree with @moreotherstuff, the clothing is more continental with borrowed orientalist features (“Ottomania”).

5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

My first thought was dancers. Could it be bride and groom? It is a charming piece.

ulilwitch, judy and Fid like this.
  6. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

These are super quality and, I suspect, quite valuable pieces. My initial thought is Russian but I will do some more searching and see if I can find anything.

ulilwitch and janetpjohn like this.
  7. Mirjana

Mirjana New Member

Thank you John.
    My husband and I spent some time researching this and it was a real challenge.
    He gave up but I am still on it...

ulilwitch likes this.
  8. Mirjana

Mirjana New Member

Thank you,
    Yes, I agree...

ulilwitch likes this.
  9. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

It is a struggle but as Van_Poperin said earlier, the costume is very early 19th century and could well be theatrical but they are not typical Staffordshire. The quality of the gilding and modelling is high, the patterned base has a French look.

Audrey Meadows was a well known TV star and I imagine that she would have bought high end stuff.

Will keep looking it is a challenge.

ulilwitch likes this.
  10. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Curious as to where this was found?

John Brassey likes this.
  11. ulilwitch

ulilwitch Well-Known Member

Van_Poperin likes this.
  12. Van_Poperin

Van_Poperin Well-Known Member

Ah, you are selling it @Mirjana! And very reasonably too I see! Well I do not think it is Greek, but whatever it is, at that price it will go quick enough :)

John Brassey likes this.
  13. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

@Any Jewelry is good on costume. That's annoyingly familiar.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  14. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I agree with the people who said Poland.
    The czapka you see nowadays in Polish folk dances is not as high, but it has the same round to square shape. That is probably the one that is more familiar.:)

Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
  15. Mirjana

Mirjana New Member

Thank you again. Sorry, I was very busy last few days so I couldn’t follow the conversation...
    I totally agree with you about Audrey Meadows. I also had an idea that that might be some kind of souvenir on her heritage but that was a blind street for me... her father was epis
    Yeah, that’s me!

16. Mirjana

Mirjana New Member

On the local auction here in Florida.

17. Mirjana

Mirjana New Member

Yes, I posted it on Etsy. It was not easy to write a description. I had to go in some direction, Greek sounded good :happy:

Draft saved Draft deleted