Featured Porcelain hanging pot

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Potteryplease, Jan 20, 2024.

1. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

I'd appreciate any comments on this piece. The style looks old to me but the condition is so good maybe it can't be all that old?

Thank you.

5.5" wide, 5" deep / tall

IMG_8774.jpeg IMG_8775.jpeg IMG_8777.jpeg

Figtree3, lvetterli, Martin s and 8 others like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

3. Potteryplease

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That is purdy. Better be Scottish.

Debora

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

gotta be Scottish !!!
    and ya...it's very striking !!!

lvetterli and Potteryplease like this.
  6. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

Decor looks to be good quality. Colours work well too especially with the gold gilt.

lvetterli and Potteryplease like this.
  7. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

It looks to be hand painted by a hobbyist. The chain looks oldish, maybe 1970s. I'm surprised that the chain is drawn through the handles. That would, over time, wear the paint from the handles due to rubbing. It reminds me of the short lived businesses where one would go, pick out a piece of pottery to paint, fire it on-site, and voila! But, I admit, I'm juat taking a guess.

8. Sdcookie2

Sdcookie2 Well-Known Member

The turn of the 20th century painting on porcelain was a huge trend. The majority of white porcelain blanks were exported from Limoges, France. Engaging in decorating these pieces with intricate designs became a respectable and popular pastime for ladies of the era. While many women took up china painting as a leisurely hobby, others leveraged this artistry for financial gain, and a handful achieved significant acclaim for their work.
    If I were to have to guess your piece fits the description above and would commonly be described as Limoges circa 1900. I find the piece very attractive, nice find.

verybrad, Figtree3, Rclinftl and 4 others like this.
  9. Sedona

Sedona Well-Known Member

An antique appraiser told me just this (there’s a noted ceramics expert every year at the Los Angeles Pottery Show), as I have a circa 1900 Art Nouveau stylized rooster vase that’s made from a very pretty, creamy, Japanese-made blank. I hadn’t seen anything like it, it’s very well done, and it’s unsigned. He told me my vase is American Satsuma. There are a number of old pottery painting pattern books that were published. Using Japanese blanks was popular, and I’ve seen similar looking vases online searching for American Satsuma. There were some noted satsuma painting “schools” that sprung up too, so there are some of very high artistic quality that are signed.

A lot of very talented women who didn’t work outside the home back then, especially around and pre-World War I, painted pottery and ceramics for a hobby or to sell.

This style reminds me of that, although I imagine if it’s European, the blank may be locally-sourced porcelain.

I like this piece! It’s very striking and colorful.

Figtree3 and Potteryplease like this.
  10. komokwa

the balance and symmetry are close to perfect..... the color and design, exceptional...:hungry::hungry:

ya...lose the chain.......in favour of a natural material.....or at least smooth hooks for the handles.:inpain:

if that's done by an amateur ......I'd like to commission their work !!!!:woot:

Figtree3, Potteryplease and lvetterli like this.
  11. lvetterli

lvetterli Well-Known Member

Yum! I love it too!

Linda

Potteryplease and komokwa like this.
  12. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

You could cushion the chain with clear plastic like the do on the metal plate hangers with the springs. I think it looks a bit art nouveau-ish in design akin to the style of the 19-teens. There were pattern designs that hobbyists could use to paint their pieces. The thistle, blackberries and nuts were some of the popular decorative motifs of the time.

Figtree3 and Potteryplease like this.
  13. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

What sort of condition is it on the inside? Somebody may have used it for a hanging planter.

komokwa and Potteryplease like this.
  14. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I would think arts and crafts period circa 1910. Agree that it is probably hobbyist painted on a European blank but they did a very nice job.

kentworld, Figtree3 and Potteryplease like this.
  15. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

16. Potteryplease

Wow-- that looks just like it. Thanks for finding it!

My question initially was about age, since the paint on mine is basically fully intact.

I'm now thinking it may actually be antique, which is exciting.

I removed the chain to prevent any further scratching. (There is a little bit on the inside of the three 'rings'.)

The inside is plain, unadorned white.

I assumed, and had been using it as, a planter. What else might it be for?

Thanks everyone!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2024
    say_it_slowly, Figtree3 and komokwa like this.
  17. komokwa

say_it_slowly and Potteryplease like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted