Porcelain Miniature Portrait Vase - Anyone Recognize the Mark?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by dgbjwc, Aug 25, 2020.

1. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hello Board Friends - I recently purchased this miniature portrait vase and I would like to see if anyone has information regarding this mark. The vase measures 4 3/4" tall. The portrait looks hand painted or maybe hand painted inside an outline and is signed Georges. The gold also looks hand painted rather than stenciled. The colors are richer than shown (I'm having problems taking pictures with my phone that aren't over exposed). The porcelain is thin and the bottom is slightly indented but not glazed. The mark has me completely baffled. If anyone has information regarding who might have produced this vase or where it was produced I would be most grateful. I'm assuming circa 1900 on age. Thank you so much for your attention.
    Don

IMG_20200825_102817882_BURST001.jpg IMG_20200825_102942750_BURST001.jpg IMG_20200825_102900287.jpg IMG_20200825_102847688.jpg

Aquitaine likes this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Are you sure that wasn't originally a lidded jar? Something like this?

Debora

aef4e65ab606cd633803aad1f6dfba74.jpg

dgbjwc likes this.
  3. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

It's certainly possible. It would be a small lid, though, as the top opening is 1 1/8" across. The top rim is also just a tad misshapen (slightly off round). It has occurred to me that it's possibly a factory second.
    Don

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The example I posted is a miniature too but I don't know dimensions.

Debora

dgbjwc likes this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Decoration may well have been inspired by Le Brun's 'Marie Antoinette with Rose.'

Debora

Marie-Antoinette-1755-93-After-Vigee-Lebrun.jpg

dgbjwc likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted