Featured Porcelain religious figure/lamp marked with B on bottom need help

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Kevolee, Dec 23, 2021.

1. Kevolee

Kevolee Well-Known Member

Hi back and stumped again. I have no idea who this statue is supposed to represent, where it is from, the age or who made it. And I have tried to come up with answers to some or all of those questions to no avail. It appears to be quite old and the book or tablet she is holding as well as her hat and the decorations on her robe are throwing me off. It is marked with a "B" on the bottom. It was converted to a lamp somehere along the line. I played with editing the words on whatever she is holding and that doesn't tell me much, though my guess is Italian. She stands around 10.75 inches high without the lamp hardware and the base is around 5" in diameter. Any help will be much appreciated.

IMG_2959.JPG IMG_2965.JPG IMG_2963.JPG IMG_2969.JPG IMG_2968.JPG IMG_E2949.JPG

Hi2022, judy, Any Jewelry and 3 others like this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Is the green photo with writing what is around the base. If not, where located? Could we see a pic of the base taken straight on>

Hi2022, judy, dude and 1 other person like this.
  3. Bronwen

She's a puzzler. Does not appear to be a saint & obviously not Mary. For me she most fits the conventions for depicting a sibyl.

Cumaean Sibyl Domenichino Vatican adj.JPG guercino_samian_sibyl.jpg

4. Kevolee

No the photo above is of the object she is holding. I'll add two pictures of the base.

IMG_2974.JPG IMG_2975.JPG

Hi2022, judy, dude and 2 others like this.
  5. Bronwen

Can you trace the letters on the base? Looks like even though the color is worn away, the writing is impressed into the clay & still detectable. I could easily be wrong; I often am.

6. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Im wondering if it’s a set of two, A&B?

judy, Roaring20s, dude and 2 others like this.
  7. Bronwen

Although it looks more like a picture frame with nothing in it, it is most likely to be a tablet or book & she is directing you to what it says.

Where is the writing shown in the green pic? I can't see it at all, even manipulating the photo. Could we see it without the green? A lot of times inscriptions in this context are in Latin.

8. Bronwen

9. Kevolee

I see what you are saying but I don't notice or feel any impressions. I don't know if this helps or makes things more confusing but I zoomed and did a little editing on the wording on the base. Now I get a French vibe.

IMG_E2976.JPG IMG_E2978.JPG

10. Kevolee

Bronwen likes this.
  11. Kevolee

IMG_E2979.JPG

12. Kevolee

Honestly I am color blind so have a lot of trouble with trying to manipulate images anyway. Sometimes things that stand out to me, others have trouble seeing and vice versa.

13. Bronwen

I agree the inscription on the base looks very much like French. One word seems to end 'eurs'.

Where on the statuette is the inscription shown in this picture?

[​IMG]

judy, dude and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  14. Kevolee

This is on the object she is holding and pointing to.

15. Bronwen

Where on the object? I see nothing there. Maybe a closeup of the object would help.

16. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

If you look at the second picture - showing the lady from the side with the tablet on her other side - there does appear to be writing on the plaque. Can't read it though.

17. Kevolee

This is it without my clumsy editing. IMG_E2980.JPG

18. Bronwen

yes, thank you. Think I see what you see, but makes me none the wiser.

19. Bronwen

We have people who do this much better than I can. Hope one will stop by, This is my best:

upload_2021-12-23_17-40-35.png

Is this also written on the surface, not impressed?

20. Kevolee

Yes it appears to be residue of long gone paint. I can’t see or feel an impression.

Draft saved Draft deleted