Featured Porcelain Vase Manufacturer Search

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Eric Haefli, Jun 11, 2020.

1. Eric Haefli

Eric Haefli Active Member

2198.01 Pair of Pate sur Pate Vases.JPG 2198.10 Pair of Pate sur Pate Vases.JPG I bought a pair of porcelain vases. They are 7 1/2" High. I have searched mark books in an effort to find out the manufacturer, but without success. Does someone recognize the mark? Thank you in advance for your help.

2. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

@Eric Haefli - Welcome to the forum!! :happy::happy:

I can't help with the mark, but I would suggest you put the words pate sure pate in the title. You can edit it by clicking on "thread tools" in the upper right hand corner of your post.

Also a full photo of the bottom my help out the other folks who can help you.

Gorgeous vases!!!! :happy:

3. Eric Haefli

Thank you. That is a good suggestion. I don't think they are really pate-sur-pate. However, I think that is the name of the pattern or line that the manufacturer used and someone might recognize that phrase.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Christmasjoy likes this.
  5. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

6. Eric Haefli

Wow, wow, wow!! Thank you so much! This is great information. I will do a little more research on the name ... a name that I did not have before now. Thank you again.

7. say_it_slowly

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
  8. Eric Haefli

Great research. I agree with your assessment. I have been busy looking through mark books and searching online. I am surprised that none of my mark books have this H mark with the line and star above. One thing that came to mind is that the mark might be associated with a decorating studio. Or, maybe it is a recent mark and not in the books.

9. say_it_slowly

I was thinking decorators mark as a possibility as I didn't find it in books either. Perhaps someone more familiar with it will have some insight.

10. say_it_slowly

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
    bercrystal and aaroncab like this.
  11. say_it_slowly

In the event anyone stumbles upon this article calling these vases Harker, though they don't show the mark, I tried to look into it. No idea where he got the info but sounded like he knew something.
    https://www.ocala.com/news/20110212/pity-but-pate-sur-pate-not-an-original/1
    upload_2020-6-12_8-17-39.png

I have virtually no knowledge of Harker but did look in Lehner's book of marks for some info and did a cursory look online. Harker did make a dinnerware line called Pate Sur Pate but it doesn't resemble the vases and used a different mark as far as I can see. The sand blast method he describes in the article matches Lehner's description of the way Harker's Cameoware was produced but again, doesn't resemble the vase and used a different mark. I didn't see any Harker marks that were anywhere close to the mark we've been looking for. Someone else may have more information.
    upload_2020-6-12_8-13-50.png
    https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-harker-pottery-co-teapot-gray-500055246

12. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Makes me wonder more about someone's web page skills. Probably the way you see items on eBay with a title that says one thing & a description that says something else because they used a previous listing as a template for the next & forgot to change the text. The museum is closed, of course, but I imagine curatorial staff is still working. The ESDA department offices readily allow for social distancing (cameos are in their care) but the tiny elevator that goes up to them does not. They must be going up & down one at a time.

say_it_slowly and bercrystal like this.
  13. Eric Haefli

I find it interesting that you found two other examples of these vases with different flower designs. They are obviously by the same manufacturer. Yet, we are having such difficulty finding solid identification. Sometimes I wonder about the impact/disruption of WWI and especially WWII to European porcelain and glass that resulted in lost knowledge and documentation of some factories in these industries. Plus, I am sure that many craftsmen went off to fight and never came back to the factories. Plus, factories that were destroyed and never reopened.

Now, I want to learn more about the pate sur pate technique. I should try to find a youtube of the technique if it is still being done today. I just don't know enough about it. Thank you for the very interesting dialog and research.

Draft saved Draft deleted