Porcelain Vase With Painted Rose and 1901 Stamp

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Jason, Nov 27, 2016.

1. Jason

Jason New Member

We recently found this vase in my wife's grandfather's cabinet. He is 94 years old and we are trying to find a little more information about this vase for him. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

image2.JPG image1.JPG

2. msgood2shoe

msgood2shoe Well-Known Member

In general, when you see handwritten initials and numbers like that, it means the vase was decorated by a hobbyist. Usually the vases are hand painted, but in your case it appears that the hobbyist added airbrush underglaze and decals.

ATB and Bakersgma like this.
  3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Take a magnifying glass and look at the roses. Do you see dots or brushstrokes?

ATB and Bakersgma like this.
  4. Jason

Jason New Member

Thank you for the suggestion, but it is very difficult for me to tell one from the other. I have nothing to compare it to, but I think I see dots.

Does that suggest the use of a decal rather than hand painted?

5. Jason

Jason New Member

Thank you for your reply. I'm assuming the use of decals (and possibly airbrushing) implies a low/negligible appraisal value, correct?

I'm most interested in the vase because it was likely owned by my wife's great grandmother. A high value appraisal would be nice, but it doesn't diminish my interest in the vase.

Thanks!

6. msgood2shoe

msgood2shoe Well-Known Member

There are collectors for hobbyist handpainted items. Value depends on subject matter and the skill of the hobbyist. Airbrush and decal items have very little value by comparison.

7. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Yes, if you see dots, then it was stenciled. If you can't see brush strokes with a magnifying glass, then it was not hand painted. It would not be considered hobbyist painted.

When I first saw it, I thought German or possibly Austrian. They both used an air brush type of decorating. Turn of the century.

EST 1901 could be someone's estimate of time. Or maybe given in 1901 by someone with the initials of EST.

Turn of the century to 19teens would be about right for time period.
    Roses are collectible.
    Value is not particularly high. Here in CA price would be anywhere from $15 - 35. That is only an opinion, based on my area. Could be higher or lower depending on where you are.

8. Jason

Jason New Member

Thank you so much!!

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted