Featured Porcelaine Sculptures

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Ilya, Dec 17, 2018.

1. Ilya

Ilya New Member

Hi everyone, first post here...

I just came into possession and would like to find out about the origin and value of these sculptures.

The pieces are about 50 cm high, and one of them (with a single subject) has some markings on the bottom of the base.

Any information in regards to origin or age will be appricated.

IMG_2462.jpg IMG_2463.jpg IMG_2474.jpg IMG_2464.jpg

2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Welcome to the Forum, @Ilya! :)
    Someone should be along that might know those marks. Maybe @Bronwen is familiar with who they are. (Thank you, Bronwen!)

3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Cupid & Psyche. Other is either Psyche about to open the box containing some of Proserpina's beauty, which she has been told not to open, or Pandora about to open the box with all the evils of the world, which she has been told not to open. I'd look to makers of Parian ware for the originals.

Following my own suggestions:

https://www.antiqueparian.com/en-GB...p-of-cupid-and-psyche/prod_10182#.XBh5l81ryM8

https://www.antiqueparian.com/en-GB...ian-figure-of-pandora/prod_10098#.XBh6P81ryM8

kyratango, Ilya, Sandra and 8 others like this.
  4. i need help

We can’t use certain words here so, You are bleeping Amazing!! ;)

kyratango, Jivvy, Ilya and 5 others like this.
  5. Bronwen

Most people here, myself among them, would say you are double-bleeping amazing in the research you do.

kyratango, Ilya, dgbjwc and 4 others like this.
  6. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

7. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

kyratango, Ilya, Sandra and 5 others like this.
  8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Those don't look to be Parian ware to me, they look marble or reconstituted marble. None of those are Minton ciphers, of course.

kyratango, Ilya, scoutshouse and 2 others like this.
  9. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

The Pandora looks pretty close to the Minton based on those links, but the Cupid and Psyche has telling differences in the modelling. The devil is in the details. That auction link on the Cupid and Psyche says it is marked on the back of the base. Is there any such marking on this? Is there any marking on the back of the base of the Pandora? (Don't know if there should be or not.)

Having them together like this suggests that they came from the same source, though not necessarily so. If one is wrong for Minton, it does give cause to wonder about the other.

Did Samson do Parian?

10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome, Ilya. They are beautiful.

kyratango, Ilya, scoutshouse and 2 others like this.
  11. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Hi Ilya!

Welcome to Antiquers!

Lovely Sculptures.

12. Ownedbybear

Have a look at that brownish discolouration in the impressed marks, and the way they show up, plus the surrounding material. Not parian.

scoutshouse and judy like this.
  13. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
    Bronwen, Ilya and antidiem like this.
  14. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I think thats cinnamon residue OBB.

kyratango, Bronwen, judy and 3 others like this.
  15. Bronwen

I'm staying out of the Minton/not Minton fray. I was brought in for the subjects & only said:
    The little monograph I have on Parian says that during the Victorian period there were many makers & much that is not marked. It mentions that Pandora is one of their earliest designs, going into production in 1851.

Addendum: Since the Cupid & Psyche is taken from a sculpture now in the Capitoline museums, it may have been used by any maker. Pandora was designed for Minton. It would be of interest to know how the accurately measured heights of OP's figures compare with those of authentic specimens.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
    kyratango, judy, Ilya and 1 other person like this.
  16. Ilya

Ilya New Member

Thank you, everyone, for the input and sharing the knowledge! This has been very educational.

The consensus seems to be that these are not Minton so the markings on one of the sculptures (Pandora) are still a mystery. The other piece has no markings at all. Not sure how common it is for a maker not to mark this kind of work.

judy and i need help like this.
  17. Bronwen

The Capitoline Cupid & Psyche sits on a round base:

[​IMG]

The shape of the base on OP's seems to be specific to Minton. It may not have been made by them, but certainly copies theirs.

Comparing, the version Bourne made for Minton is considerably different from its inspiration, not just in the fig leaf.

18. Ilya

Ilya New Member

So, what is the significance of the way the marks are made and discoloration?

judy likes this.
  19. i need help

And a great I.D.! Thank you!!! :)

kyratango, judy and Bronwen like this.
  20. Ownedbybear

Ilya, did you rub anything into the marks, please?

kyratango, judy and Bronwen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted