Featured Portrait of Don Luis de Gongora y Argote

Discussion in 'Art' started by Jacqui, Oct 13, 2019.

1. Jacqui

Jacqui Active Member

I have this painting at home I have just found out who he is. 09CF874C-4FDB-4AB2-8502-40A1F6BA9B74.jpeg

Bronwen, Christmasjoy and kyratango like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

As his rival Quevedo described him...

To a Man with a Big Nose

Once there was a man to his snout attached
    Owner of the most unparalleled nose
    He was a lively, very lengthy hose;
    He was a swordfish dreadfully moustached.
    His nose was a large sundial all askew
    'Twas a big elephant sitting upright;
    It was a killer nose, a dangling scribe:
    Was Ovid Naso with a nose most rude.
    He was an ominous nasal missile;
    A pyramid, a colossal nipple,
    Alas, of nostrils he was the twelve tribes.
    Pinnacle of noses, stated simple,
    Gargantuan arch-nose, nosy archetype:
    A patently purple scalded pimple.

Debora

Figtree3, Fid, Bronwen and 3 others like this.
  3. Jacqui

Jacqui Active Member

4. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

5. Jacqui

Jacqui Active Member

Oh dear what’s the sad face for?????? Xx

6. Christmasjoy

The poem about body shaming, I find it distasteful .. but that's of course only my opinion ... Joy.

Any Jewelry, bobsyouruncle and Jivvy like this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I think he gave as good as he got.

Debora

8. Christmasjoy

If he gave it in that way it was also distasteful .. maybe it was okay way back then but in this day and age it is not easy on the eye. Thank goodness times continue to change .. still a long way to go though. As a child I would body shame whilst arguing and made a girl burst into tears ... I've never forgotten it, Caroline Cook wherever you are I've paid the price over the many years, Im sorry. .... Joy.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  9. Christmasjoy

By the way ... she would still probably reside in England and the body shaming I did consisted of drawing a picture of her with snot running down her face, earwax popping out of her ears, a big mole with a long squigly hair in the centre, drool running from her mouth ... and a row of rotton bad teeth :(:(:( I really hurt that girl :( Joy.

10. Jacqui

Jacqui Active Member

Ah I can understand that, I didn’t look at it that way I was amused by the obvious narcissistic personality disorder this person had.....
    if people try and put you down it only means you are above them xx

11. Christmasjoy

True Jacqui ... but I was the putter downer and I've paid for it in my own mind FOREVER !!! ... Never did it again though, I was 12yrs. old. Joy.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  12. Jacqui

Jacqui Active Member

Maybe so but even a putter downer has often had something in their life to cause the way they are and why they act in such a way..... It’s not for anyone to judge, you are sorry for it, you were 12 so not understanding of life fully and why you did things but you obviously feel remorse so you need to forgive yourself and love the person who you’ve turned out to be xx

13. Jacqui

Jacqui Active Member

I have had a difficult time of recent and I still don’t understand the whys or where’s of it all but I wrote this and it kinda helped
    Just life .........
    Life we all have one, & some just seem to float along in a seemingly gentle fashion, whilst others have endless struggles & strives to live through whilst paddling as hard as they can so not to sink, everyones varies according to the person we are, or choose to be, and what life throws at us, be it good or bad, it makes us who we are.... individuals.
    Just because some don’t find their way to the path of smooth and gentle, uneventful but pleasant existence, it doesn’t mean they don’t sometimes crave it, as I am sure those whom are bobbing along on their path of ease may crave something out of their control to happen and feel the turmoil of the other path. Either path we land on doesn’t make us right or wrong or good or bad we can choose to be whatever we want in life, to whomever we want
    We all have the choice of whether we are kind, thoughtful and generous be in a heart felt way or not. We can choose to be the best we can or not. however, it’s not withstanding the fact that our lifes journey can be built or broken by others, so easily and this is something which we cannot always control it’s how we try and deal with it that matters if someone tries their best then what more can one ask of them.
    People should not judge each other unless they truly have taken exactly the same path as another, because until we have, in as much as being an identically matched existence, and experienced all as they have, we truly have no right or reason to be judgemental.
    So we all should consider and take heed of the power we have as individuals or as groups in force to effect others and their lives in a positive or negative way, we also should remember that negativity, lack of empathy or even simple selfishness can be the very thing that makes another’s life difficult and painful both mentally and physically to the point it’s unbearable and their actions have a dominoes effect causing an avalanche of bad that could so easily been avoided if we just thought about others a little more and tried a little harder.
    It breaks my heart and I’m so sad to say that this message is directed to my mum, my dad and the father of my children whom you’d expect to be the people who stand by you and fight your corner, but they’ve destroyed everything I’ve worked for, taken everything I care for and have no remorse so I hope that one day they’ll read this and actually realise the damage they’ve done and actually do the right thing...... I can only hope

X

Figtree3, i need help and Any Jewelry like this.
  14. Christmasjoy

Well that is beautiful. As I matured those childish behaviors evaporated and of course I saw the world in a different light. As an adult hopefully people put their childish actions away and concentrate on the beauty that is in this world and work to change the wrongs. I only wrote that nasty episode of mine to show my own spitefulness 64yrs. ago. ... Joy.

i need help and Any Jewelry like this.
  15. Christmasjoy

Jacqui ... Keep looking up, you have loads of folks right here that are in your corner !!! Many of us have gone through abuse and betrayal, Keep your head up and love yourself, YOU ARE A TERRIFIC GAL AND A WINNER ALL AROUND !!!! ... Love Joy. :):):)

16. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

17. Jacqui

Jacqui Active Member

Thankyou that’s a lovely thing to say xxx

Any Jewelry and i need help like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted