Portrait of Girl...Expressionist? Matisse influence?

Discussion in 'Art' started by moontymes, Dec 31, 2020.

1. moontymes

moontymes Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,
    Would appreciate some input regarding this portrait. Looks like its unsigned. Name and Manhattan address verso, but I think this might be the previous owner's name and address. This is not painted on canvas board but a sort of Masonite.
    I'm looking to pin down the age, and mayb e an influence or something to further my research. German or French influence? Matisse influence? Thank you for any input. p1.jpg p2.jpg p3.jpg p4.jpg p5.jpg p6.jpg p7.jpg p8.jpg p9.jpg p1.jpg p2.jpg p3.jpg p4.jpg p5.jpg p6.jpg p7.jpg p8.jpg p9.jpg

judy likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

amateur influence..............?

that face is disturbing....and the dawg....not much better !!!:(:rolleyes:

3. moontymes

Really??? I think it is a really interesting piece. To each his own, however. Thanks for your....."help"

judy likes this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Charming pose but... That may not be the work of a professional artist. Certainly the wallpaper is Matisse-esque. Hard to date but children's clothing doesn't change as rapidly as women's but I'd think 1930s, 1940s or even 1950s. Can you read the name on reverse?

Debora

5. moontymes

Hi Debora,
    I'm not sure. I can't decide if this is more early-ish 20th century or more mid-century.
    The panel doesn't give me many clues personally, but I thought maybe someone would know based on that panel.The back reads maybe Steinitz or Schwartz, but again, not 100% sure that's the artist's name. There is a blank label verso which suggests it might have been at some sort of store in the past.
    Thanks!

judy likes this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Duh. That's a telephone number, right? Riverside 9-4774? You can date your painting by that alone.

Debora

komokwa likes this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It appears to be 2 letters + 5 numbers like this example (from wikipedia.org.) So, if true, your painting would date from the 1940s or 1950s when DDD began. (I did very cursory research on this; you'll want to confirm.)

"ENglewood 3-1234 is an example of the 2L-5N format, gradually implemented continent-wide starting in the 1940s, in preparation for DDD."

Debora

9. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Thank you for any input.

U didn't require that it be positive input !! :););)

& I still find the whole composition....specially the red lips....off-putting !! :hungover::meh:

11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The Ernest Steinitz above doesn't seem to have a New York connection. Or am I missing it? There was another Ernest Steinitz in NYC, a physician. Here's his wife. She painted. But I'm just throwing this out; the link above doesn't take me to a phone book entry that's for a Steinitz at the 93rd Street address.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kate_Steinitz

Debora

judy and i need help like this.
  12. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

That may be, I got the Doctors confused.

judy and Debora like this.
  13. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Of course... That doesn't mean the painting is contemporary with the inscription on the back.

Debora

14. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Its got an odd appeal ,but its so dirty that I think it'd cost more to clean than it might be worth .

15. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

There. All fixed.

Negative opinions about items posted are okay. Negative opinions about other forum members are not.

Draft saved Draft deleted