Featured Portrait of my Aunt, who made it?

Discussion in 'Art' started by opoe, Oct 3, 2017.

1. opoe

opoe Well-Known Member

Unfortunately she can no longer tell me this herself...
    Probably painted late 60s, early 70s, judging by the way she looks, though she was a lot prettier according to my dad( has to do with the smudges in her face, something went wrong there, did the varnish interact with tobacco smoke?). It still does look like her anyway.
    I took these pictures when I was visiting my dad so I was in a bit of a hurry and could not look at the back.
    The signature pictures came in quite clear but this person has taken too much of an artistic liberty with it, so it is still unreadable to me...

IMG-20170701-WA0016.jpg 2017-01-25 10.20.22.jpg 2017-01-25 10.21.15.jpg 2017-01-25 10.21.00.jpg

2. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

too bad she's not smiling ....she's smoken hot !

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  4. buyingtime777

buyingtime777 Well-Known Member

Lovely subject! Just a stab in the dark but I wonder if it would be possible to locate info on active portrait painters in the time frame and area the work was done? Maybe start some searching with "painted portrait" and the city and see if you get lucky and find another example of the artist's work someone has identified?

5. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

G...tri ? She is very attractive,very much of the time.

6. opoe

opoe Well-Known Member

That is going to be hard, because the painter could be dutch or belgian, (or even german or french), as she lived in both the Netherlands and Belgium during those years

7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Beautiful. The fashion of the dress and hair are early 70s.
    Is this the aunt who was married to the Belgian uncle we have all come to know and love for his taste in wonderful ecclesiastical antiques?
    Do you have or know the chair?

The signature, Clara/Anna Tan/Ton? There are many members of the Peranakan (Straits Chinese) Tan family here in the Netherlands. They came over from Indonesia over the years.
    I remember there was a good professional photographer among the Indonesian Tans, in either Malang or Surabaya, so there was an artistic streak.
    Some Tan family members came over from Surinam, like Humberto Tan.
    I could be way off, of course.

I wonder why the painter didn't tell her the occasional joke to lighten the atmosphere.

8. buyingtime777

buyingtime777 Well-Known Member

Yes, that would be difficult opoe. I did not know the family history and was thinking of a city in the US perhaps.

Christmasjoy, opoe and judy like this.
  9. opoe

opoe Well-Known Member

No worries, Time Buyer...;)

Indeed, Any J., She and her husband, my uncle, were an intriguing couple. He drove a rolls royce from the 40s and looked like a dandy and she was always stunning in her purple or lilac dresses, even until her early seventies she was still beautiful and classy, but then she got ill two years ago and passed away, My uncle could not live without her, neglected himself(and his cars and the house), and joined her this year.
    The chair however I do not remember and was not in the house, when we were dividing the goods, looks interesting though, maybe it belonged to the artist in question.
    No indo-dutch artists found yet that could match, if there would be one at all, I did find however two old Wajang dolls amongst their belongings.

Painting is serious business though...;)

10. Any Jewelry

Sounds like a wonderful couple. Must have been great to know them.

Do you still have the wayang puppets? I may be able to tell you more about them.

11. opoe

opoe Well-Known Member

Staying with them sometimes over the holidays as a child was always a great adventure and they have been of great influence on my development as a person.

Yes, I took them, tried to take pictures, but the colours were too dull, I'll try again in the daytime...and start a new topic for them.

Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
  12. Any Jewelry

I can tell, not only from your taste in antiques, but also the loving way you speak about them. They must have loved you too.

Draft saved Draft deleted