Portrait - Painting Or Overpainted Photo

Discussion in 'Art' started by kardinalisimo, Nov 8, 2018.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

30DAF066-55FB-4E31-939F-07CC420AA683.jpeg 65397436-7EFF-4C53-B903-B822ABF2C890.jpeg 2AE0AA57-7495-4E21-9F04-1343A29CEBC7.jpeg AF770389-06AE-4ABD-B4FA-8B3FEC4C17D7.jpeg 8DB0BDB5-BE0B-4F78-8900-B6A4283BCB9E.jpeg 822B6AD5-E277-4AFE-8C7B-6A04944C54C7.jpeg 4CBB9FC8-3121-491B-A8E5-8084CE3F749A.jpeg 36A4247D-358A-4BBA-8C71-BC4238B4CA13.jpeg E672922B-6A4F-4CB7-A95E-F219BAA326C8.jpeg Having trouble determining if original painting or painted over photograph.
    What do you think?

2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It looks like some sort of photographic process up close. No paint is ever that smooth.

Bakersgma likes this.
  3. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

i need help likes this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I don't think that's the same person. Your Michael Gaskell was born in 1963, but the subject of the OP's portrait appears to be dressed in 50's clothing style. I suppose it's possible that someone wanted a portrait painted more recently from a much earlier photograph, though.

Mill Cove Treasures likes this.
  5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

That's a classic New Look dress - call it late 40s to mid 50s. Is it just me, or does everyone else see a nurses's outfit every time they look at the portrait too? It's that all-white dress and hat, if a much nicer one than any nursing uniform of the era.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  6. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

It looks to me like maybe a textured surface coating applied over a photo or print to give the effect of an oil painting.

Bakersgma likes this.
  7. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I wonder if that's her wedding outfit?

8. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

The woman is a painting and not a photograph painted.

9. antidiem

Looks painted on burlap?

10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Wedding portrait. (No nurse has deep red talon-shaped nails.) Posed for after the fact or she would be carrying bouquet. And she's wearing both engagement ring and band. Date range as above. IMO.

Debora

Bakersgma likes this.
  11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

And probably done by a home town artist.

Debora

Bakersgma likes this.
  12. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

So the even texture would be caused by the canvas?

13. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

My vote is over painted photo or some other photo process.

I also vote for the possibility that's she's simply a woman in a white outfit. :cat:

14. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

That's a toughie, isn't it? I suspect it's a painting probably copied from a photo. There are techniques that go to great lengths to eliminate any trace of brushstrokes. It was the common practice in academic paintings of the 19th C.

There are also techniques called photo-realism and magic-realism that do much the same, though I think they would post-date this.

I think she's modeling the outfit, most particularly from the pose of the hand.

Fid likes this.
  15. antidiem

The canvas appears to be burlap and yes it would look like that.

After sleeping on it, I want to mention that I cannot figure out the picture of the back(?) of the painting, I guess I cannot see it properly?

Also after sleeping on it, it's possible that this is a photo-image reproduced on burlap of a PAINTING of a model wearing white with a ring.

Painting on burlap is very difficult to do and there are no painterly marks of paint blobbed into the weave of the fabric.

16. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

I don't think this was painted on burlap. It looks like a textured board that was varnished or the textured piece was added after the painting was finished and then varnished. The varnish coating built up in the corners of the small squares giving a darker, uniform appearance.

17. Cris Drugan ISA-AM

Cris Drugan ISA-AM Active Member

My vote is a photo-transfer on canvas board with a gloss varnish and not a gel medium as it appears the varnish has settled in the canvas recesses in the photo with the signature.

antidiem likes this.
  18. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

Look at the photograph of the hand, that was painted. You can see it more clearly on the finger nail and the ring. I just looked at the website that SIS found. He has an email contact on his page. Email a link to this and see if it is his.

i need help likes this.
  19. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

The hand/ring should be proof enough that this is not a photo-realistic painting.

20. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

I agree that it doesn't look like a photo, but think it could be a print taken from a painting, printed on a textured surface, and then coated.

Draft saved Draft deleted