Featured Possible 1920s Slag Glass shade/brass lamp.....

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Cristine L Orzel, Nov 22, 2021.

?

looks like T/A and on other side can't quite make out yet under the finial

1. bradley

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. tiffany

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Lamp resized images.jpg lamp markings resized.jpg lamp finial resized.jpg We are so hoping you all can help - my mother in law purchased this lamp in 1974 , cord replaced as original was in very bad /dangerous condition . When she passed, in 1998, my husband 'inherited' the lamp,we are considering passing on to next gen but concerned that it may be too valuable to pass on until they are more settled. So we would love to know more ....Thanks in advance for any helpful info

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2021
  2. I can try baby powder for the markings to show up better if needed

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Maybe a $500-750 lamp these days.

4. I appreciate your help, any other information you may have? Again she's not showing a permanent residence at this time ,a sublet and don't want to lose this due to her not being able to care for it.

LauraGarnet02 and Ghopper1924 like this.
  5. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Not extremely rare but another 1920s variation on the caramel slag lamp. Very handsome; in perfect condition very brad may be correct, but in my part of the U.S. Midwest I'd think more like $400-$500. Very handsome.

Any Jewelry and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  6. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

They seem to be doing better on-line than locally. Based the above on ebay prices. Some did sell for less but this seems a bit nicer than most.

7. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

A nice 1920's curved slag glass lamp. Most likely made of spelter (an Alloy) not brass. Brass was certainly used as was cast iron, but spelter seems to dominate. Looks to have it's original sockets which lamp people love.

8. how does one know if brass or spelter?

9. okay so I checked and the base weighs a hefty 15lbs very solid and tried scratch test no silver so am guessing it's brass that we see

10. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

15 lbs. is hefty so brass is possible. Some lamps had cast iron at the bottom to keep lamp stable because the shades were pretty heavy making them top heavy. Underside of base may give confirmation. I notice the shaft up to the sockets does look to be brass. As you noted, a silver-gray color metal would indicate non brass, but yellowish sure would seem like brass.

11. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

@Cristine L Orzel In the last picture it looks like there may be something written on the top piece at the 6 o'clock position. Could be nothing, could be something. Take a closer look.

12. okay so here are the baby powder 'enhanced' photos I see T/A or VA and a Y a bit to the left ?

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted