Featured Possible Actress worn dress

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by billyd3us, Nov 28, 2017.

1. billyd3us

billyd3us Thanks All my Friends

Here's this dress by Hardy Amies, I believe the label dates to the 50's or 60's.
    From my research, I know he made clothing for Queens, movie Actresses like Deborah Kerr, Vivien Leigh, Barbara Cartland, etc.
    I would like to know what kind of dress this is, cocktail, party etc. Also is it possible this dress was worn in a movie or by someone well known ? I'm trying to remember if I seen this dress on tv in the 70's worn by a long dark curly hair girl, or maybe it was me daydreaming, I cannot recall.

Thanks everyone...

Billy D. 015.JPG 016.JPG 017.JPG 018.JPG

2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Is it petite?
    Maybe Audrey Hepburn?

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It's impossible to tell era of dress from your photographs and the label's stitching raises all kinds of red flags.

Debora

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I'm thinking 60's
    The label looks legit....but not from his boutique
    Maybe you could get in touch with the company......

I was in his home, & had dinner out with him in the early 70's....but that's of no help !
    Still, wish I had Moms suit she bought on that trip !

Oh....& from the label...this was from his ready to wear line....and not made for anyone in particular .....

5. billyd3us

Yes it is petite, Audrey Hepburn, that would be cool..

Christmasjoy and KingofThings like this.
  6. billyd3us

Do you think the label could have been somewhere else then put where it is now because it was getting in the way ?

7. billyd3us

Wow, that's cool..Love to hear stories like this, having dinner with someone well known, very cool.

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

A high end retailer would not sew in a label in such a sloppy manner. It was likely affixed at each corner with a stitch originally. So the dress has either been -- how shall we say -- "mis-identified" or the label was moved for some reason. I'm having a hard time visualizing that dress on. What fabrics is it made from? Metal or plastic zipper? Shoulder pads? Length? Colors?

Debora

9. billyd3us

Hi Deborah, the zipper is metal, the skirt looks and feels like satin, total length of dress is 40". It does have thin shoulder pads with a snap on thin material. 031.JPG 033.JPG 034.JPG 035.JPG 037.JPG 038.JPG 040.JPG 041.JPG It looks like it was made fast for a movie or something..That's just my opinion though.

10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It's a cocktail dress. And, you're right. Lovely, quality construction. The fabric looks lux too. As to fit, does the ruched top pull down over the hips and the skirt flares below?

Debora

11. billyd3us

Thanks Deborah, yes the ruched top does pull down to make the skirt flare.

12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

13. billyd3us

Christmasjoy likes this.
  14. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Drop waists were fashionable in the 1950s and the 1980s. If it were a 1950s dress, I would except a more constructed bodice, a fuller & longer skirt, and no color blocking.

Debora

15. billyd3us

Good to know this Debora, Thanks for this info..

Christmasjoy likes this.
  16. billyd3us

Are we aloud to say how much a value is on this ?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  17. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

As always, it's worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Amies isn't well known in U.S. and not his peak period. Still, eye catching. There does appear to be a U.K. market. If it were mine, I'd expect about 50 pounds on eBay auction. BUT listing clothing is a lot of work. The photographs would have to be of excellent quality, fabrics identified and measurements accurate. (Oh, and label stitching might be a red flag for some buyers. Still, I'd be confident dress what it purports to be. Quality unmistakeable.)

Debora

18. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

When considering whether a zipper is metal or not, it's the zipper teeth that are being referred to. From the photo, it looks like a nylon zip?

The dress looks 1980s to me but it would be better to see it on a mannequin or dress form to get a more definite idea of styling.

Definitely eye-catching!

19. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Key word for you. These were called "pouf" dresses in the 1980s.

Debora

Christmasjoy likes this.
  20. billyd3us

Thanks bluumz...I will keep this in mind.

bluumz and Christmasjoy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted