Possible American Folk Art Boxing Greats Cane

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Gavinmrt, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Gavinmrt

Gavinmrt New Member

Hello everyone,
    Can someone please help me identify this cane I have done some research and am I right in thinking it is an American Folk Art Cane possibly made in the states at about the 1930s.
    It has been carved out with names and figures of all the great boxers from late 1800s to early 1900s.

More pictures to follow

Many Thanks Gavin

Attached Files:

2. Gavinmrt

Gavinmrt New Member

3. Gavinmrt

Gavinmrt New Member

4. Gavinmrt

Gavinmrt New Member

5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Hi, Gav. It's hard to tell from photos how big or small something might be without reference objects of known size. But with the chairback next to the table, it looks a lot longer than a typical "cane."

Can you give dimensions, please?

6. Gavinmrt

Gavinmrt New Member

Hi Bakers

The cane is 93 cm long and one and half inches wide at the top

Thanks for the help Gav

7. Bakersgma

Thanks, but what is 93 cm in inches?

silverthwait likes this.
  8. Gavinmrt

Gavinmrt New Member

That is 36.5 inches

9. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

10. moontymes

moontymes Well-Known Member

pbi, but that's a fine looking Cavalier you have in the photo! We have a 15 week old Cavalier puppy. It's weird, they don't bark much at all!

11. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I saw this over on ebay forum but don't know too much about such things. I do think it has the potential to be a good item. It appears to be oak and, as such, I would think it is American in origin. It doesn't seem to be as old or as fine as some of the most sought after canes but it certainly is unique. Without a carver's name, it will probably be difficult to know a whole lot more.

It seems that I remember seeing a similar cane with multiple figures like this but can't find anything quite like it now. It might be worth contacting an auction house that specializes in sports memorabilia for their opinion. Heritage Auctions is probably as good or better than most for this.

antidiem likes this.
  12. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

Welcome Gav.

BTW,Where are you?

This is just plain spectacular.

TOP SHELF American folk art with all the bells and whistles, and TREMENDOUS crossover appeal, canes, sporting, folk art just to start. Really great "FOLK" carving and great identification of just exactly what it is. And what a great period for American folk art. This is 6 degrees of seperation from traditional "Tramp" art, possibly even having been carved "on the road."

WOW this is a winner.

Is it completely carved all around? More photos are craved and will be GREATLY appreciated.

BTW...I invited Gav from the old board. I hope we can make it worth his while. This certainly is a Worthy candidate for our great researchers and general Antiques nuts.

13. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

I agree with Brad. Heritage was my IMMEDIATE first thought for a piece like this.

antidiem likes this.
  14. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

15. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

I hope some other names on the cane can be read and shared here.;)

16. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

With Sam Langford at the top, maybe the others are all boxers that he fought?

17. Bakersgma

That might be true, Fig. Did anyone else read Davey's link?

18. Gavinmrt

Gavinmrt New Member

Thanks everyone for your help :)
    Yes, the cane is carved all the way around. Other names include:Stanley ketchell, george chips, jack o brien, willie lewis, Luther McCarthy, bill Brennan, frank Craig, jack Dillon, Fred Fulton, bill squires, billy papke, jim Johnson, lester johnson, gunboat smith, sandy ferguson, ed Martin, al palzer, jack Blackburn, joe walcott, honey mellody, George Godfrey, Barry Moran, billy miske, jack root, jack root, Arthur pelsky, al kaufman, rube ferns, jim Flynn, harry wills, marvin hart, joe jeanette, mike Sullivan, joe thomas, Dixie kid, tom west, sam mcvey, iron Hague.

19. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Wow! Excellent! :)

20. Gavinmrt

Gavinmrt New Member

Draft saved Draft deleted