Possible Art Deco pitcher any idea of the maker

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Sean Allen, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Sean Allen

Sean Allen Member

Hi folks I have been trying unsuccessfully for the past 4-5 years to find the maker of this STUNNING possible Art Deco pinched drip glaze pitcher. This beauty measures 6 inches (150 cm) in height and approx the same at it's widest across the middle.

As shown in the photos it is brown and orange with a slight silvery grey speckle in parts.

It has 4 dents (pinches) around the sides, 2 positioned on both sides (see photos) It has no makers stamp but it has the number 1147 and made in England on the base.

Any ideas would be appreciated. I looked up Silvac and Beswick as they both produced pieces without maker stamp but no I found nothing with the stamp number?

Some members have kindly suggested that may be from 1970's so I am open to this being the case, even though I was told by two different antique dealers that it was Art Deco, so any advice is welcome - Sean

Many thanks for any help - Sean Art Deco vase (1).jpg Art Deco vase (2).jpg Art Deco vase (3).jpg

Art Deco vase (4).jpg
    Art Deco vase (5).jpg
    Art Deco vase (6).jpg
    Art Deco vase (7).jpg
    Art Deco vase (8).jpg
    Art Deco vase (9).jpg

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
    Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Hi -
    1. It's not a vase, but a pitcher.
    2. I do not think it is Art Deco.

Looks more like 1970s modern type glaze.

Maybe @Ownedbybear might have an idea.

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I agree, it looks more 1970s. Either a pitcher or a milk jug.
    Huge if it is 150 cm.;)

4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

It certainly ought to be Beswick or SylvaC, and the backstamp looks more SylvaC ish. Shape is Deco, colour is 70s.

I think it might be Bretby.

5. Sean Allen

Sean Allen Member

Hi guys thanks for thoughts and also mentioning its a pitcher, thank you. The only concern I have got is two separate antique dealers here in Ireland stated Art Deco period to me when I brought it in, both couldn't identify the maker, so I am confused as to why you think 70's if they both think Deco. Im not saying you are wrong btw but the whole style of it is Art Deco, I wonder can share some examples what you are thinking, as for the colour, it doesn't rule out art deco period. Thanks for your help I appreciate it and maybe if I look in the 1970's I will be able to find it thanks folks I have amended the title and description to reflect you advice - Sean

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
    Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted