Featured Possible Delftware lookalike?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Max Dibble, Oct 28, 2018.

1. Max Dibble

Max Dibble Aspiring museum professional

Hi all! Found this little guy in a little antique store in my college town a couple years back and just rediscovered it as I was cleaning out my childhood bedroom. It’s 2” in height. I’m not hugely familiar with Delftware, other than some quick Googling, but from what I can see, this has to be a reproduction, right? Let me know if I should include other photos! 08A5C58B-1046-4A50-9C14-4E1946628C77.jpeg C418B0BE-BE30-402A-9E2C-6ADB3634EDCD.jpeg 3CD8E1DB-4CB5-4725-826C-3D3F4A110645.jpeg

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I think you are right to assume it is a modern made piece, but since even the "famous" Delft potteries made things in the 20th century (I have a plate made in 1987 that I bought new in Amsterdam) I don't think you need to call it a "lookalike."

3. Max Dibble

You’re absolutely right, thanks for catching that!

4. Bakersgma

5. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

The book Discovering Dutch Delftware by Van Hook published in 1998 shows this mark as De Candelaer. It says it is a small gallery at Kerkstraat 14 in the center of Delft that makes handpainted Defltware in the standard modern underglaze technique. Founded around 1976 by Francena Johanne Godefroy and her husband Jan Stillebroer, they make standard quality Delftware for the Delft tourist trade.

6. Bakersgma

7. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

8. Max Dibble

Thank you so much! That’s so informative, I’ll have to check out that book!

i need help and Bakersgma like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted