Possible early 1800s chairs?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Rberr, Jun 2, 2017.

1. Rberr

Rberr Member

2. Rberr

Rberr Member

Hi there :) Had a gentleman say these may be early 1800s. They have no screws and the wood dowels are square. Was wondering if anyone had any information on them? Wanted to share. New here but already value the opinions of everyone on here

3. Rberr

Rberr Member

4. Rberr

Rberr Member

5. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

If that paint is original, would think 20th century.

6. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I'm not good with furniture styles.
    Looks French - Louis XV, XVI, or XVII stlye - if you use the term giltwood, you will get examples of that ornate back style.

Whether they are old or made to look old, sorry I can't say. I think they may have been repainted.

Can you see any color or shellac under the chipped areas?
    upload_2017-6-3_0-19-16.png

Rberr likes this.
  7. Rberr

Rberr Member

Can't tell if it's been repainted or not. Looks like shellac under the chipped areas. I'll keep doing research

8. Rberr

Rberr Member

Thanks for the "giltwood" clue. That definitely has me on a closer path. It does look like a varnish or shellac under the paint but can't be 100% sure

9. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

If there is shellac under, then I would think someone has painted them to be with the current fashion, or the earlier Shabby Chique (sp) style.

10. Brvce

Brvce Member

That two nails ( square shape) looks like a hand wrought nails and it's gotta be in the 1700s . If you can or possible pull the nails out and identified ? The old nails can tell by aged .

11. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

OP said they were square wood pegs.

12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

maybe , they aren't ..?

13. Rberr

Rberr Member

Sorry for the late reply. Been a busy few days. I was able to get a closer look and pull one of the dowels out a bit. They are definitely solid wood dowels all the way through. No wood covers for screws. No screws or nails at all. Just the dowels. Hoping someone can confirm the time period. Looking at getting them appraised for sure. Thanks for all the input! :)

14. Zac thomas

Zac thomas Member

Definitely French Louis style and definitely been painted and reupholstered. It's hard to tell the age as usually the wood is a tell tale sign. If you could perhaps look under the chipped or thinly painted areas at the state/quality of the wood it may help you :) They do however look pre 1900's. Look for antique French style chairs, louis style furniture and the use of dowels and how it has been put together! You can see it was in pieces and has been put together with dowels or if done at a more recent time, glued :)

Rberr likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted