Possible Powder Flask

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Barn Owl, Sep 8, 2018.

1. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

I love flea markets. I picked this up at my first one today. It was only 3 euros, so I figured it was just a decorative piece from the German equivalent of World Market. Once I got home, I noticed that there was something rattling around in there. I managed to pry off the lid, which I hadn't realized could actually come off. I shook out it's contents, which ended up being small flakes of soft, dark grey metal, which I assume might be lead. This made me wonder if it was actually functional at some point and not just a reproduction. Could it have once contained shot or powder? It's about 10 inches tall and 6.5 inches wide at widest point. The cord it hangs from is coarse and wooly. It has some dents and what appears to be solder blobs on sides. 20180908_182205.jpg 20180908_182216.jpg 20180908_182209.jpg

2. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Google Arabic Powder Flask, images, and you will see some somewhat similar, all of which look recent to me. Brown and white fiberous thing sure looks like synthetic boat line, if ends look melted that’s what it is. So I dunno.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
    Christmasjoy and Barn Owl like this.
  3. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

I agree with springfld. Look specifically at Moroccan powder flasks.

judy likes this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!