Featured Possibly old 14k stick pin?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by spartcom5, Sep 10, 2017.

1. spartcom5

spartcom5 Well-Known Member

Found this today for $20 and it did come with the original stick pin box, no pics right now of that because it is airing outside. Anyways the stick pin is marked 14k and then an "E" inside a diamond. The guy who sold it to me said it was gold filled. I honestly think it may be 14k.... However, I think the stick may have been replaced sometime and is not gold. Thoughts anyone? Looks early 1900s to me, possibly the teens.
    20170910_163447_resized.jpg 20170910_163501_resized.jpg 20170910_163535_resized.jpg 20170910_163615_resized.jpg

judy, kyratango, Christmasjoy and 2 others like this.
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I have a feeling it's all gold. It's not all that old, but the metal is the real deal.

judy, kyratango, Christmasjoy and 3 others like this.
  3. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

I've seen these. May have one or two. :)

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I remember those. Likely 2nd half 20th century. 1960s, 1970s.

Debora

5. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

I also think 60's 70's.

6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

These were very popular when I was in college - 60's.

judy, Christmasjoy and KingofThings like this.
  7. evelyb30

I've found some really old ones whose clutches were worth more than the pins were. Old gold-filled stick pins can sell for not much, but a turn of the century clutch in good working order can sell for $5-10 on its own.

Figtree3, judy, kyratango and 3 others like this.
  8. KingofThings

Really.....
    And it never occurred to me that that was a named a 'clutch'. :)

judy, kyratango and Christmasjoy like this.
  9. evelyb30

It makes the stick pin engage with your tie. :) It's manually controlled however.

10. KingofThings

Yes, I got that for I have them but I never thought of it having a name. I just used it. :)

11. spartcom5

Hmmm i will have to get it tested. You guys really dont think the stick was replaced? I only question it because there is a small chip and it looks like a different dark metal underneath. I tried picturing it in my last picture. Thanks so much for the opinions on dating it! I thought it was older because the markings looked older but oh well still great!

12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

The clutch is not that old.....so I doubt the pin is either.

13. spartcom5

Took a loupe to the ding on the stick part and a closer look actually shows it may actually be gold after all. Still will get it electronically tested for assurance. The clutches aren't ever gold correct?

komokwa and judy like this.
  14. evelyb30

I've never found one yet that was, but there's always a first time.

15. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Probably irrelevant, but the only E-in-diamond mark that comes to my mind was a glass mark used on goods made for the Eaton's department store in Canada.

Don't know if they used a similar mark on other items.

16. spartcom5

Good news guys, I used two electronic testers and it is all 14k! Here it is in it's (supposedly) original box. It was the guy's grandma's stick pin and he himself was in his 70s. The box is no newer than 1937.... Interesting.
    20170914_201419_resized.jpg 20170914_201430_resized.jpg

Figtree3 likes this.
  17. quirkygirl

quirkygirl likes pretty old things

Might be older than you think (or maybe not - you knew the box was pre-1937 ... I didn't read that part - ooops). I don't know for certain, but I found this:

ii. WILLIAM H. DIEFFENBACH, born February 1877, Cherry Township, Sullivan Co.,PA; died February 27, 1937.

Notes for WILLIAM H. DIEFFENBACH:

He was a jeweler and had a jewelry store on Main St. in Dushore, PA. (Streby, History of Sullivan County: Dushore).

The Sullivan Review

March 3, 1937

William H. Dieffenbach, died Saturday morning, February 27th in the Rothfuss Clinic, Williamsport, following an illness of about one week of pneumonia.

Mr. Dieffenbach was born in Cherry township, in 1877, a son of Clinton A. and Caroline Kinsley Dieffenbach.

Mr. Dieffenbach, was a jeweler by trade, opening a shop on Main street about 40 years ago and continuing in the business at the same stand until the time of his death.

He is survived by one sister, Mrs. John Randall of Forksville, one brother, Morgan Dieffenbach of Scranton, a sister-in-law, Mrs. John Dieffenbach at home, and four nieces and four nephews.

Funeral service was held Monday afternoon from his late home in Cherry township, Rev. Carl F. Gunther officiating. Burial was in the family plot in Bahr Hill Cemetery.

found it here if you want to reference it http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~pasulliv/resources/Dieffenbacher/ConradDieffenbacher2.htm

Figtree3, komokwa and Bakersgma like this.
  18. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I have a stick pin something like that, but not marked and I don't think the metal is necessarily gold. It's good to see this type of information, as I'd never tried to figure out anything about mine.

KingofThings likes this.
  19. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Still don't believe it's old. And I don't think original to box. 1960s seems right to me; I remember these for sale then. (That's why they carried an initial rather than a monogram.) And a 70-year old man today could very easily have had a grandmother who was alive and shopping in the 1960s.

Debora

Bakersgma, judy and KingofThings like this.
  20. spartcom5

I actually asked him again if he knew how old it was and he had no idea. So I think the best bet is 1960s! Thanks guys!

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted