possibly old french style chest of drawers

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by opoe, Apr 29, 2020.

1. opoe

opoe Well-Known Member

thumbnail_IMG_20200426_184417778.jpg thumbnail_IMG_20200426_184359334.jpg thumbnail_IMG_20200426_183947230.jpg thumbnail_IMG_20200426_185338033.jpg thumbnail_IMG_20200426_185545889.jpg I like to imagine that Louis Seize still had his head when this was made... ;) It's in bad shape unfortunately(maybe I should learn how to restore things myself as I do not have money to let it be done professionally, someone as poor as me being able to to get great stuff cheaply because of the downturn in the antiques market, creates other problems apparently) more pictures to come... 91cm high(35.8inch)/63cm width(24.8inch) /46cm deep(18.1inch) It looked smaller in the pictures... the construction of the drawers are a bit puzzling...

apparently there were two of these, they belonged to a freule(unmarried lady of nobility), the seller told me.

Houseful and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. opoe

opoe Well-Known Member

can't seem to upload any more pictures, is this a glitch or something?

3. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Normally 8 images before you have to go on the next page.

4. opoe

opoe Well-Known Member

thumbnail_IMG_20200426_183025075.jpg did not have this problem in the past...managed to upload one now... but the other three disappeared... hey, now they appear...weirrrd

Attached Files:

Any Jewelry likes this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

With a little help from a friend :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
    Ghopper1924 likes this.
  6. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

My first thought would have been English.

kyratango and James Conrad like this.
  7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Mine too. I'd like to know where this was found or where it lives, and why French is thought possible.

kyratango and laura9797 like this.
  8. opoe

opoe Well-Known Member

this thing is located in the netherlands. The seller told me it was french, but could be dutch as well.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  9. Ownedbybear

It's not far from the Netherlands to the UK. ;)

kyratango likes this.
  10. opoe

opoe Well-Known Member

Neither is France...;)

Any Jewelry likes this.
  11. Ownedbybear

12. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

The more I look at this, the more I am seeing English - the hardware screams it and I believe it is mahogany with oak lined interior. Even the drawer faces applied to the drawer look English.

13. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

My guess is Biedermeier.

James Conrad likes this.
  14. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

The drawer pulls are Hepplewhite, little doubt about that, and if original to the chest I'd guess English as well.

kyratango and Ghopper1924 like this.
  15. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

This is how I started and learned - restoring things myself. Today there are products that make a refinish much easier like Howards Restore a finish. There are many you tube videos about how to do repairs. The process, I found, created a lasting relationship with the piece I worked on. My first attempts weren't so good, but I tackle jobs with confidence now.

Ghopper1924 and James Conrad like this.
  16. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Very nice.

But what's up with that object on top of the dresser with the hand in it? How old is that? WHAT is that?

17. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The hand is a photo in what looks like a solid stone frame. If that dresser could talk, it's more likely to be speaking Brummy than Pom. I recognize those drawer pulls too, and if I can (furniture not being even close to a specialty) why couldn't the dealer? Odd.

Ghopper1924 and James Conrad like this.
  18. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Well, just don't throw a wobbly about it. I'm off to get me snap and a glass of pop. Good evening each!

19. opoe

opoe Well-Known Member

that is the shell of an old clock, without a clockwork, now a display thingie... ;)

@evelyb30 Not of stone, wood. (what do you mean by brummy or pom?)

The seller was not a professional dealer, just someone whose wife got it from her friend, the noble lady in question. Did not pay much for it.
    I looked up hepplewithe english chests, those are not that common over here, so not that strange if someone does not recognise the hardware... the rest of the chest still does look more french "directoire" to me. the straight lines, the feet..pointy straight feet, not curled

how can I tell if the hardware is original?

20. Ownedbybear

Are there any shadow signs of fading around the handle plates? Signs of different fixings on the reverse?

Draft saved Draft deleted