Post Your McCoy Art Pottery!

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Joe2007, Jan 11, 2020.

1. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Please post your McCoy Pottery! All pieces and lines from all companies bearing the McCoy name welcome! Lets see them all!

Note: The early history of McCoy Pottery is fairly complex due to the fact that the McCoy family members owned or were partners in several enterprises using the McCoy name. The Nelson McCoy Pottery Company is the entity that produced many of the pieces that collectors associate with the zenith of McCoy art pottery.

In 1848 W. Nelson McCoy & W.F McCoy started a pottery business in Zanesville, Ohio which produced stoneware crocks and jugs. In 1899 the J.W. McCoy was started in Roseville, Ohio making stoneware crocks and then several lines of art pottery until it merged to form Brush-McCoy with several other small local potteries in 1911. In 1910 the Nelson McCoy Sanitary Stoneware Company was founded in Roseville, Ohio making stoneware churns, jars, and jugs in both utilitarian and decorative wares. They chose their Roseville location for the easy availability of clay which for their operations and for several of their local competitors. This company reorganized to become the Nelson McCoy Pottery Company in 1933 and soon after changed its focus to art pottery and floral designs with the addition of a brand new tunnel kiln and many other upgrades to the latest technology to increase production.

Now able to target more affluent consumers they added many more shapes to their production lines including Jardinieres & Pedestals, Umbrella Stands, Vases and other decor products. The despression greatly impacted the pottery business in the 1930's and they banded together with other local potteries to market and merchandise their wares. The company fourished in the 1940's and reaped substancial profits at the time. New massive circular kilns 50 feet wide allowed for thousands of pieces at a time to be produced. The pottery produce land mines during war time and expanded their cookie jar lines during peacetime. In 1950 a great fire decimated the production facilities for McCoy pottery and the family rebuilt with the latest technology becoming the largest producer of pottery in the U.S. and distributed vast amounts of their wares. At its zenith the company employed up to 450 employees.

In 1967 the company was sold to Mount Clemens Pottery Company and then was sold again in 1974 to Lancaster Colony Corporation. The company finally ceased production and closed in 1990. In the last few decades it had faced increasing competition from overseas producers in the end wasn't able to compete with an ever increasing wave of cheap imported wares.

To many McCoy Pottery collectors the 1940's and 1950's are the most popular time periods to collect. Unfortunately there are numerous fakes and reproductions out there for collectors to avoid. In recent decades large quantities of fakes and reproductions have been imported from overseas by wholesalers. To make things worse, these fakes can be difficult to spot due to the utilitarianess of McCoy's wares. Many cookie jars have been faked in large quantities and some jars bearing McCoy's mark are fakes originally produced by Hull Pottery. As with other art pottery the market for McCoy is very weak and prices are currently down considerably.

Please post photos of your collection and have any comments or info you may have regarding the subject matter.

2. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Some of my McCoy pottery collection (including some Brush-McCoy pieces since the history gets pretty tangled). Have some more pieces I need to get photos of as well but I will start with this.

mccoy turtle watering can.jpg mccoy alligator planter.jpg MCCOYfrog1.jpg mccoy cookie jar.jpg mccoy bird double planter.jpg McCoy Dog After Cat Wheel Planter.jpg MCCOY early-mccoy.jpg MCCOY nelson mccoy pelican.jpg

3. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Additional Pieces

McCoy Brush McCoy frog planter.jpg MCCOY brush mccoy frog.jpg MCCOY brush mccoy froggy.jpg mccoy brush mccoy standing frog pic2.jpg MCCOY brush mccoy turtle small.jpg MCCOY BRUSH TURTLE PLANTER.jpg MCCOY HYACINTH VASE.jpg Mccoy large jardinaire.jpg mccoy-jard.jpg mccoy m1.jpg

Christmasjoy, Bronwen and Bakersgma like this.
  4. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Additional Pieces
    mccoy m2.jpg mccoy planter 3.jpg mccoy pottery vase 1 - april 2018.jpg mccoy vase 5_14_2016.jpg McCoy Dog Bowl.jpg MCCOY GREEN DOUBLE HANDLED VASE.jpg MCCOY nelson mccoy vase 2-4-18.jpg mccoy planter 2.jpg mccoy planter 1.jpg MCCOY early pitchers and mugs.jpg

Bronwen and Bakersgma like this.
  5. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

McCoy Pottery Crocks
    CROCK Stoneware McCoy 5 gallon crock jug.jpg mccoy crock 15 gallon.jpg

Christmasjoy, Bronwen and Bakersgma like this.
  6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Now you're going to make me take pictures. Not that I have that many.....

Bronwen likes this.
  7. lvetterli

lvetterli Well-Known Member

I don't collect much of anything (outside of dust and cat hair) but I've sold quite a few pieces of McCoy over the years. These are the best. I hadn't a clue the bluebird vase was McCoy, folks here gave me the ID. Love that Hyacinth vase, Joe!

Linda

Mccoylamp3.JPG Mccoy Bluebirds Vase.JPG Mccoyhorse2.JPG MccoyShell (2).JPG

Bronwen and Bakersgma like this.
  8. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Corn lidded jar adj.JPG

I now have a handful of pieces of the corn ware line designed by John Cusick, but it started with this lidded jar inherited from my grandmother. To my eye, the painting on this piece is superior, in some cases far superior, to that on most of the other pieces, which I take to be of later manufacture. My guess, since neither my mother nor her younger brother could remember a time when it was not on their mother's kitchen counter, is that it was a wedding gift, from the mid-1920s. Appropriately, they lived in Iowa.

Christmasjoy and Bakersgma like this.
  9. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

My pictures are not well-organized, but I was able to find my 1912 Corn pattern creamer.

Ear of corn pitcher 2.jpg

Bronwen and Christmasjoy like this.
  10. Bronwen

I have a creamer, the next most well executed piece, as well as a mug, a tub that says BUTTER that probably needs a lid, & a piece meant to hang on the wall with a lid that you can slip a hand under to take out a pinch of SALT. Funny thing is, my grandmother used the lidded jar for that purpose, but it, of course, would have required 2 hands (if you wanted to keep the lid). I don't check regularly, so maybe more are out there, but have only once seen the sugar bowl; sold for good money.

Bakersgma likes this.
  11. Bronwen

My turtles hole up in the base of a cookie jar styled as a log. The lid has mushrooms on top. It was sold as Brush-McCoy, but don't know whether it is or not. The mushrooms are glossy & glazed; the base is more of a matte brown. Woodside just fits & Eddie fits on top of her.

Bakersgma likes this.
  12. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I actually bought these mugs for resale, but I thought I would add them to this thread as an example of early McCoy Pottery. They are not marked but are shown on page 53 in The Collectors Encyclopedia of McCoy Potter by Sharon & Bob Huxford.

According to Huxford's book these mugs are "vintage c.1926 Nelson McCoy Willow Ware green glaze pottery mugs done in the Morning Glory pattern. These mugs were made by the Nelson McCoy Sanitary Stoneware Co. using the same molds as Brush McCoy used c.1916."

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Bronwen, Joe2007 and Bakersgma like this.
  13. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Another new addition to the hoard! Also shown in the finds thread.

mccoy early mccoy double handled vase.jpg

14. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

All of your beautiful McCoy pieces are making me smile from ear to ear
    Mikey

atree 23081.jpg

Bronwen, Joe2007 and Bakersgma like this.
  15. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Thanks! Awesome McCoy smiley planter!

Bronwen and 916Bulldogs123 like this.
  16. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

Thank you.

Bronwen likes this.
  17. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I apologize folks. I kind of dropped the ball on this one. I am grieving the loss of a close family member and as a result am also tied up in all kinds of estate stuff. On top of that I'm getting used to a new phone and photo editor. Regardless, I will try and post periodically. Anyway, below are photos of some of McCoy's flower forms. The two considered the hardest to find are the pink and yellow poppies. The little bird figurines were club pieces and also considered hard to find.

IMG_20200217_132145458.jpg IMG_20200217_132209304.jpg IMG_20200217_132217353.jpg

quirkygirl, SBSVC, Joe2007 and 2 others like this.
  18. Bronwen

LOVE the poppies.

19. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Wow that is a fantastic grouping of McCoy! Thanks for posting. Sorry for your loss.

How rare is the big white vase on the left top of your 1st photo? Saw one today at an antique mall and they wanted $170 for it.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
    Bronwen likes this.
  20. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Visited a different antique mall and found these priced fairly reasonably. My thoughts are that you can never have too many Brush-McCoy frogs.

McCoy Brush Frog Smaller 1.jpg McCoy Brush Frog Smaller 2.jpg McCoy Pear Planter 1.jpg McCoy Pear Planter 2.jpg

Bronwen likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted