Post Your Roseville Art Pottery!

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Joe2007, Oct 14, 2019.

1. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Please post your Roseville Art Pottery! All pieces and lines welcome! Lets see them all!

Roseville Pottery was founded in 1890 in Roseville, Ohio but moved its factory to Zanesville, Ohio in 1898. The first pieces of Roseville were utilitarian in nature but the pottery quickly moved to high quality art pottery. In the teens as the demand for quality faded, Roseville began to produce mostly commercial wares in large quantities.

Roseville Pottery has many lines/patterns, many prominently depicting a flower in their designs. Each of these lines has a number of different shapes and usually several primary glaze colors that the pottery could be purchased in. Roseville ceased operations in 1954.

There are many collectors of Roseville Art Pottery some of whom try to collect all of the different shapes in a particular pattern while others collect a variety of pieces from the different lines. Condition is usually very important to collectors of art pottery and most prefer pieces free of issues such has chips, cracks, repairs, and other blemishes. Prices for Roseville Art Pottery hit their peak in the mid 2000's and have significantly declined since then. Many of the reference books produced a decade ago should not be relied upon for accurate pricing data. Roseville Art Pottery has many dedicated collectors and is celebrated in Southern Ohio each year in a series of festivals that bring in collectors from around the world to the Zanesville, Ohio area.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
    anundverkaufen and Bakersgma like this.
  2. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Here is some of my collection that I currently have photographed (you may have already seen many of these in the Finds Thread). Will be photographing more as well. Any comments are welcome.

roseville pottery - large blackberry vase.jpg roseville pottery - blackberry bud vase.jpg roseville pottery - wisteria vase.jpg ROSEVILLE FUSHIA DOUBLE HANDLED VASE.jpg Roseville Water Lilly Double Handled Vase.jpg ROSEVILLE SNOWBERRY DOUBLE HANDLED VASE.jpg roseville dahlrose pillow vase.jpg Roseville Thornapple Vase.jpg roseville magnolia basket 2.jpg roseville magnolia candleholders.jpg

ola402, UncleChuckTX and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  3. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

WOW, Joe, you have quite a really NICE collection there!!!!

5. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

I've been collecting Roseville Pottery for almost 15 years now. Nearly half of my life. My parents starting buying a few pieces, amassing a small collection and along the way I got hooked.

Actually I started with McCoy Pottery first, admired my parent's Roseville pieces, and then found a few pieces of Roseville that I could afford in 2006.

6. Lena345

Lena345 Member

Great collection!

7. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I don't really collect Roseville though I've sold a bit here and there. There is just one line I've always thought I should have a piece of but never have which is Moss.

Anyway I currently have just two, one is Magnolia that had damage that I purchased from someone on the old ebay boards years ago. I did a little repair but never finished. The other is a Luffa wall pocket that I found at Goodwill awhile back.

roseville magnolia.jpg roseville luffa.jpg

dgbjwc, ola402, Bakersgma and 2 others like this.
  8. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I don't intentionally collect but as I have demonstrated time and again I can't resist a bargain. My Roseville tends to be scattered around but I was able to access these pieces pretty quickly. Snowberry wallpockets, Tuscany and Florentine wallpockets, and a Corinthian castle gate vase (my favorite).

IMG_20191014_151749942.jpg IMG_20191014_151811898.jpg IMG_20191014_152200327.jpg

komokwa, ola402, pearlsnblume and 3 others like this.
  9. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Love the wall pockets!

dgbjwc likes this.
  10. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

A few more of my Roseville pieces

roseville snowberry bookends.jpg roseville foxglove  double handled vase.jpg roseville foxglove candlesticks.jpg roseville white bowl.jpg

dgbjwc likes this.
  11. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

The Snowberry bookends have this interesting label from a retailer. This is the only piece that has such a label in my collection.

pottery sticker.jpg

judy likes this.
  12. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Sweet! Not one of the lines you see all the time.

say_it_slowly likes this.
  13. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

I know you guys like your marks so here is a few pics. Not exhaustive for Roseville by any means, just the photos I had handy.

sticker 1.jpg roseville pottery mark 1.jpg roseville pottery mark 2.jpg roseville pottery mark 3.jpg roseville pottery mark 4.jpg roseville pottery mark 5.jpg

Iouri, komokwa and dgbjwc like this.
  14. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

That seems to be true if you mean the Luffa wall pocket. Brown would appear to be a little more common than green too. If you mean the Moss I've lusted after at times, that seems a bit less common too. A sweet collection there!

Joe2007 likes this.
  15. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Forgot to mention that I was referencing the wall pocket in the above post. I've probably only seen a dozen or so pieces of Luffa in person at auctions & antique malls. I love Moss too and was finally able to add a few pieces to my collection last year. I agree that it is not very common (but not exactly scarce, especially online) and quickly snatched up when found.

Most of the time with Roseville Pottery you see many pieces of Freesia, Clematis, Gardenia, Apple Blossom, Magnolia, and etc. before you see any of the better/more sought after lines such as Wisteria, Blackberry, Moss, Rosecraft Vintage, and so on. The antique malls around here almost exclusively have the common, inexpensive stuff marked up at 2-3x eBay prices and none of the better pieces.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  16. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Found a couple of more pieces hiding in plain site. The front two vases are the Rosecraft line I believe. Often overlooked because they were only marked with foil labels. The center vase is early Heager.
    Don

IMG_20191016_102236592.jpg

komokwa, Joe2007 and Bakersgma like this.
  17. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I've sold a lot of Roseville Pottery, but never kept any for myself. Then a few years ago I went to a fabulous auction where the auction company appeared to have just arrived at the site moments before the bidders. It was very unorganized, so I got a great buy on 2 pieces of red Silhouette and decided to keep them. 779-5 on the left and 782-7 on the right. Silhouette has always been one of my faves.

DSCF4901.jpg

18. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Quick and not a great shot!

We have a shelf above a window where these pots live. My first ever Roseville pot is the one on the right, a Donatello Jard that I got for $1 at a yard sale. I didn't know what it was but I liked the look of it and it got me started on Roseville. The others are Mostique, which I LOVE and always look for :)

If anyone is interested, the green rectangular platter behind is Franciscan Tiempo. I have quite a few pieces of it as my parents had bought it when it originally came out. We always called it the "ugly green dishes" in my family.

When my parents moved from a 6 bedroom house to a 1 bedroom apartment a lot of stuff collected over 40+ years were up for grabs. I don't know why but I took the ugly green dishes.

Then a few years later we had a friend over for dinner. I decided to use the green dishes. Dang if they didn't look wonderful on our table with our flatware! Now they are on another shelf over a different window and we use them for special occasions :)

QuickRosevillePots.jpg

19. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

In my experience I've seen a few pieces of Roseville Mostique slip through the cracks and not be recognized as Roseville by dealers and auctioneers. So there are great deals to be had potentially for someone that collects and can see through the piles of cheaply made imported pottery from China and elsewhere which are in great abundance.

20. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I like Mostique but in my world, not many people do, perhaps because they don't know it's Roseville. I also have a friend who calls Magnolia "the bumpy ugly pattern". LOL! My all time fave is Pine Cone, but I don't have any. In a recent auction a Pine Cone Pitcher with 6 tumblers went for $650, perfect condition. That's likely why I don't have any. Making do with Silhouette . . .

Joe2007 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted