Postal System Theft

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by springfld.arsenal, Feb 21, 2016.

1. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

A customer in Colorado ordered and paid for a 25 lb. item. We shipped it in a USPS large flat rate box, very well packed. We've shipped the same item in the same version of flat-rate box dozens of times and never had a problem. This time the box, weighing 25 lbs when mailed per our USPS receipt, was an empty box when delivered in Colorado. It was a $100. Item, but all we'll be able to offer the buyer is $50. If and when our claim is paid. This doesn't involve Eboo or Poopal. Any suggestions?

2. desperate_fun

desperate_fun Irregular Member

If your customer paid $100.00 I would reimburse him/her the $100.00.

I know it sucks. Sometimes you are the bat, and sometimes you are the ball

Pat P and afantiques like this.
  3. quirkygirl

quirkygirl likes pretty old things

I would have your postmaster call their office and speak with the carrier that handled and delivered the package in Colorado ... I would think they would remember delivering a 25lb box if it was fairly recent.

Did your customer mention if the box looked as if it had been tampered with?

Maybe I've just read too many tales of lying scammers on the eBay boards ...

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  4. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

So I take it that USPS is reimbursing the $50 as an insurance claim. If the value was $100 then you should accept responsibility to insure the full value and provide a full refund.

I once had a online purchase that was misdelivered by USPS. The online status indicated delivered; it just did not get delivered to the correct address. I talked to the carrier who agreed that the package was NOT delivered to me; so USPS accepted responsibility. However, they were not able to find where the package got delivered, and since it was not insured no was reimbursement offered. I provided the carrier's direct phone number to the seller. We both (seller and buyer) filed with USPS. The seller was satisfied that I wasn't scamming anyone and reshipped my order, which was over $100.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
    Pat P likes this.
  5. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Since it's a heavy item I wonder if it simply broke free of the box somewhere in transit rather than being stolen. Does USPS have a version of lost and found or do they just dispose of items that can't be matched to their packaging I wonder?

On Ebay boards they usually say that the PO will have a notice on a package that is empty with damage. I can't say the empty part is true as I haven't had that issue but I have received packages with a notice that the damage was from by their machinery.

6. springfld.arsenal

Thanks. We use the lowest-cost shipping method in each shipment to benefit the customer who pays the shipping upfront. The odd thing about this that we saw when we pulled up the USPS tracking history was that part of the tracking was missing. What I mean is that all of our previous shipments with USPS where we've checked the tracking show that the pkg went from our neighborhood post office to the regional P.O. about 10 mi. away, then on to the longer leg of the trip. This time the tracking shows the pkg going directly from the neighborhood P.O. to destination in Colorado, and we know that isn't the way it works. Very strange, did someone go into the USPS system and delete part of the tracking to hide when they had access to the pkg?

7. springfld.arsenal

The customer did not mention any damage to the package. The cushioning and the internal thick-walled cardboard tube we put the actual item in were all still in the package but the merchandise in the tube had been removed and the box neatly re-closed so all appeared normal. According to the customer.

8. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Clearly a case of postal theft , I don't understand why they wont pay in full ? They KNOW it goes on . When I lived in Atlanta , I received several birthday cards that had all been slit open ,money orders removed from a few of them , then taped shut . It took me a YEAR to get them to pay up ! That being said , in all my years of buying online and dealing with the usps ,that was the only problem I ever had . Just be very persistent , I mean a real pain in the a** !

9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

If that's truly what happened then yes....some postal worker is stealing items and I'd bring this to the attention of every manager & postal boos I could get a hold of......& have them track down the thief , as this likely is not his 1st time.

10. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Just because you did not insure it for full value, doesn't mean your customer should be out the difference. A purchase is a contract for goods, You have not kept up your end of the contract, though through no fault of your own. It doesn't matter whether it is your fault or not. You need to reimburse the customer the full amount or re-send the goods.

Make sure the PO opens an investigation. It might not do any good but is worth a try. As mentioned above, the carrier should remember whether or not they delivered a 25 lb. package. An investigation should involve contact with the carrier.

Tina likes this.
  11. TheOLdGuy

TheOLdGuy Well-Known Member

Only two scenarios here. But, first, that's why eBay made very clear years ago that the seller cannot charge the buyer for insurance. Seller is responsible for safe delivery. You say value $100. Is that what the buyer paid? If so, you owe $50 and USPS owes $50.

A USPS employee stole the contents. But why? Did he/she know the contents? To me, that's unlikely. And the value? Very odd.

"This time the tracking shows the pkg going directly from the neighborhood P.O. to destination in Colorado."
    That is just about impossible. There is only one truck that picks up from the local PO once or twice a day and delivers to the distribution center. I doubt the driver made a side trip to the airport and put it on the USPS plane going to Colorado. More likely it just somehow didn't get scanned at that junction.

My bet is the buyer is the culprit. Certainly doesn't explain last paragraph, but buyer had the best opportunity to remove the item and file a false claim.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
  12. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'd file with the USPS and then tell the buyer. You'd be amazed how much "missing" stuff turns up when there's an official report.

13. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Have you dealt with this buyer before? If not, is there any chance they're not telling the truth?

14. springfld.arsenal

This is his 6th purchase from us, all others went ok. I think after a slight delay to check with post offices, we'll ship him an identical replacement item. We expect he'll buy more stuff if we treat him well. I guess this time we'll put extra insurance on it however slight a deterrent to thievery that may be.

15. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Theft in the Postal system seems unlikely

Tracking often doesn't show intermediary points

If you printed the label online at Commercial Plus rate you have $100 insurance

16. Jen and George

Jen and George Well-Known Member

You really need to file a theft report with your local Post Office. We sent a large, heavy package to our granddaughter last year and it showed as delivered but she did not receive. I was very pleased with the actions of the Post Office here where I mailed it and in Ypsilanti where it was received. They busted chops finding out what had happened. It is a federal crime to steal mail and they want to take care of it.

17. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

The Commercial Plus free $100 insurance applies to eBay TRS+ sellers. I'm not sure it applies to Commercial Plus off-eBay sales as well?

Spring, if you haven't used third party insurance, the rates are very reasonable and my understanding is it's usually less of a hassle to get reimbursement than with the USPS. I've never had a claim as a buyer or seller, though, so don't have first-hand experience.

18. springfld.arsenal

Thanks. The only other thing I can recall losing in USPS was another heavy thing in a flat-rate box, mailed from same post office a few years ago. Maybe there's a heavy-thing-collector working there!

19. whatmamahad

whatmamahad Well-Known Member

I'M not sure how much this will help, but I've been there and done that.
    If you use a printer, use the USPS website to print your label AND PURCHASE INSURANCE. CHOOSE "Add Extra Services" button and Enter the amount of Insurance you Wish to Purchase. I believe it costs $1.65, per $100.00 of insurance. It Is Well Worth the Cost.
    I use eday, to print shipping labels and purchase insurance, for all items, from ShepCuver. Since you purchased insurance, you have more control over any situation, that might arise, instead of being "at the mercy" of the USPS.
    Good Luck.

20. springfld.arsenal

Thanks. Our shipping clerk has tried to use USPS online labels but she can't get the labels to print out. The site takes all the info just fine but nothing she does will get the label to print. Anyone else run into that issue?

Draft saved Draft deleted