Featured Postcards, Ben Franklin Stamps, Unkown origin, please help.

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by orrbobby, Nov 12, 2018.

1. orrbobby

orrbobby Well-Known Member

Ok my friends, picked these up today at thrift store. I really do not know where to start with questions. Let me start by saying the postcards have a slightly raised front. They are signed from Auntie. There is a number on the front 617 on both cards. As far as origin are these German?? Both have a series 1902 1cent Ben Franklin stamp that has been canceled but no date. UGGGH. The writing on these postcards looks like it has been done with some sort of fountain pen, definitely not a ball point pen. Any idea the age of these postcards?? Thank you all for your help. IMG_4810.JPG IMG_4811.JPG IMG_4812.JPG IMG_4813.JPG IMG_4814.JPG IMG_4815.JPG IMG_4816.JPG

Attached Files:

2. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Printed in Germany yes. Sold and posted in the US about 1910.

Your year is after SEP 24 behind Dopisnice.

3. orrbobby

Thanks Terry, any value to the stamps??

judy, Christmasjoy and pearlsnblume like this.
  4. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

but value to the postcards.....fer certain !

judy, Christmasjoy and pearlsnblume like this.
  6. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

The printing method used was chromolithography, and the cards are called chromolithographs or chromos for short.

If you list them for sale online, it's a good idea to include the locations and family names in the title. I've sold paper items to people who have a connection to the location or surname and it always makes me feel good... like I'm sending the item home. :)

7. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

I don’t think they are signed Auntie. Maybe Rudie.?
    So just don’t mention that maybe.

8. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Post a pic so we can read it ! Id love to know whats being said.

judy likes this.
  9. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Johnny - I tried flipping & enlarging them on my computer, but I couldn't read the messages, because they're not in English!

judy and i need help like this.
  10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

ahhh...back when a penny meant something !

orrbobby, judy and i need help like this.
  11. Diggummup

Diggummup Well-Known Member

The maker of your cards is Otto Schloss as identified by the OS on printing stone logo on the bottom left of the backs of the cards.
    Here is a link with more information- http://www.tpa-project.info/html/body_otto_schloss.html

I love postcards and have collected many over the years, all of them with intentions of reselling. I've only ever listed one to sell though. It was a Langsdorf Alligator border. So many things packed away, so little time.

cxgirl, orrbobby, i need help and 2 others like this.
  12. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

That site looks very informative, @Diggummup -- and should help to answer original questions.

Diggummup, orrbobby and i need help like this.
  13. orrbobby

Incredible information, thank you so much:):)

Diggummup likes this.
  14. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Orrbobby, you (and others) may be interested in seeing a photo of the house in the address on your postcard (111 Downs Street, Kingston New York). If you do an on-line search of that address you will see that the "old" house is still standing and, in my opinion, it is quite charming still.

Below is a link to see that old house if you (or others) are interested. The only caveat would be if that particular address has been re-numbered over the years by the City of Kingston.

https://www.movoto.com/kingston-ny/111-downs-st-kingston-ny-12401/pid_b9cs7mnrjh/

I "have a thing" about looking up old houses in the addresses of old letters and postcards. ;) :shame: :rolleyes:

cxgirl, johnnycb09, Pat P and 3 others like this.
  15. orrbobby

Funny you say that, First thing I did was google the address. Strange how stuff like this ends up in thrift store. These were in a frame, so typically being the picker that I am, I like to see the backside of paintings, prints, etc. I did not even know these were postcards until I removed them from the frame. Like they say, sometimes the backside of a painting or print etc. provides a lot of information. Thanks for your reply:happy::happy:

16. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

17. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

So Rudolph is Emma’s husband according to Arthur’s obituary. Maybe it is signed Rudie?

18. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

That's what it looks like to me.

19. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

And to me, as well. (excuse my geriatric printing!)
    img0 (5).jpg

20. orrbobby

Draft saved Draft deleted