Featured postcards opinion please

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Chris Mount, Nov 21, 2017.

1. Chris Mount

Chris Mount Getting there

Hi all stumbled upon these at the flea market today I reckon their pretty good. top ones are French and german and the Indian one is American one of the religious ones in italy post cards there's 3 with stamps from France one of the cards is dated 1911 the others look similar from stamp on them.
    second set is movie stars from the 20s Google tells me. there's only 3 with info on back for posting the others are blank someone has written in pencil the names but some are missing. these are japanese with 2 having Tokyo spelt tokio. welcome thoughts also one looks like it's signed harry grey looks original as inconsistency in colours though may be wrong 15112621679840.jpg 15112621680431.jpg 15112621680792.jpg 15112621886434.jpg 15112621886965.jpg 15112622051056.jpg 15112624976017.jpg chris

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  2. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

The top set of postcards ... many of them appear to be holiday themed, and commercially printed. The French and Germans did a lot of those types.

If you could post close-up photos of the unidentified actors some of us could give a try to figuring out who they are. I recognize a couple of them (Greta Garbo, Janet Gaynor) but would need to see larger ones, and there seems to be no need to ID the ones you already know.

I'm not familiar with Harry Grey. There was a film producer of that name, but not sure if that would be his signature. He produced a movie called Cowboy Serenade. (1942) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cowboy_Serenade

Idea: Could it be cowboy actor Harry Carey?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Carey_(actor)

He also had a son named Harry Carey, Jr. who acted in cowboy films:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Carey_Jr.

Junior was born in 1921, though, and your pic appears to be in a style popular before Junior would have been an adult.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  3. Chris Mount

wow thanks figtree 3 i did do some searching but found nothing.
    it's the women without names ( i gather Greta is the one with the necklace) and the stage scene but would be a little difficult. I forgot to post the album thoughts on age at all and are the actors cards do they have any value all in all they all cost me around aud 1dollar 50 each so not to bad chris 15112882662010.jpg 15112882663342.jpg 15112882662661.jpg

4. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Those actors cards are collectible. I have a huge number of them that my aunt left. They go from $2-$9 or even more if it's an unusual one. There are a bunch on Ebay

5. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Speaking of Harry Carey... 0399 30a carey.jpg

6. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

7. Chris Mount

thanks bev definitely harry Carey just had to get right angle on pic 15112905458260.jpg

8. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

On the set of movie star cards, 5th card on the top row, I thought I was looking at Elvis Presley .... I KNOW it isn't him but .. oh well ..
    Joy :).

AJefferson likes this.
  9. Figtree3

Yes, Greta Garbo is the one with the necklace. And next to her, I thought that was Janet Gaynor, but now wonder whether it's Myrna Loy, but as a blonde? -- She was brunette, but so was Gaynor at first. And could have been blonde for a particular role.(And it might be neither one of them...)

I'm not sure who the woman towards the bottom was.. and can't see the stage scene well enough to even guess who they are. Do any of them have writing or printing on them? Are they postcards?

10. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

Sorry, 4th card along :( ..

11. Figtree3

I see a lot of recent sales on eBay of items signed by Harry Carey, Jr. -- but none by his father.

12. Chris Mount

only 3 have the post card backing the others are plain with someone writing their names in pencil googled the printing company but found nothing 15112943021471.jpg 15112943021010.jpg

Batman_2000 and AJefferson like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted