Pottery bowl

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Marzena, Jul 5, 2019.

1. Marzena

Marzena Well-Known Member

Hello people again, this time i come with a bowl, which I cannot recognise from whom it is or from where or when. I am aware it must be quite modern, but as fast as I've started collecting things, I've learned that the most important quality of your collected piece is not a potential value, but the knowledge about, I have few things in my collection, which are "from nowhere", and it doesn't let me sleep well -). So here I am with my new purchased bowl. It has a M initial at the bottom, but it doesn't tell me anything. I suppose it may be from some artist' studio, but again, I am in a dark, deep wood. Maybe some of you, amazingly wise people will be able to tell me more about. Thank you in advance!
    20190705_082813.jpg 20190705_062701_resize_46.jpg 20190705_062444_resize_26.jpg 20190705_080322_resize_22.jpg 20190705_062557_resize_5.jpg

2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

1930s hyacinth bowl, mottled ware, probably English, possibly Beswick.

kentworld, aaroncab, Figtree3 and 5 others like this.
  3. Marzena

Holy hell, you know everything! Thank you! At least i will let to know my husband, that he was driving nearby 20 miles, after work, not just "for a bowl" ( his eyes almost killed me yesterday ;-))

4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

It's a well proportioned bowl with a very nice glaze. From just the first picture, I would have guessed it to be stone.

5. Marzena

My friend has just written me the same, she'd thought it is a stone -)

judy and moreotherstuff like this.
  6. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

It is beautiful. Tell your husband that it was worth the drive!

judy and Marzena like this.
  7. Marzena

I've just showed him this thread ;-)

komokwa, Figtree3 and judy like this.
  8. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

It looks like someone has sanded off the mark on the base, maybe.

9. Marzena

Who knows, I also wonder, why the bottom looks like a mess. I wonder what would be the purpose, because I don't think the price was it ( I've bought it for an amount equal to a cup of good coffee), eventually it was made years ago -)

10. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

It may be an obliterated mark. Perhaps it was considered a factory second?
    Don

kentworld likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted