Featured Pottery ID help - solved, Roseville Imperial 1

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by cxgirl, Mar 2, 2018.

1. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Hi All,
    I picked up this piece of pottery with no mark, does have stilt marks, is 6 1/2" x 2"D. The wood base is not with the piece, just used for taking photos.
    I've had no luck trying to figure this out, hoping someone here will know.
    Any information appreciated
    thanks for looking
    DSCF4246.jpg DSCF4245.jpg DSCF4221.jpg DSCF4223.jpg DSCF4224.jpg DSCF4244.jpg

2. Huntingtreasure

Huntingtreasure Well-Known Member

I could help with maker, but the scene looks like palm trees and an outrigger canoe.

judy and cxgirl like this.
  3. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Thanks Huntingtreasure:) I found it, Roseville Imperial I, found it in my Roseville book. They are unmarked, not seeing this shape in the book though. Will poke around and see if I can find it.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  4. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

It's in my book as Roseville Imperial I from 1916. There is the shape shown in the catalog.

5. say_it_slowly

6. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

thank-you SIS:) I found a couple that say this is #71-7 - is there a number in the photo?

7. say_it_slowly

The photo in the book is really not much better than this photo. It appears that the one on bottom left says 71-8 and the one bottom right 71-7.

8. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

that is great, thank-you SIS:)

judy, komokwa and yourturntoloveit like this.
  9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

To me......that's an ugly piece of pottery...not anything I think of when I think of Roseville....

BUT.....congrats for seeing thru the glaze , and snapping it up !!!!!! :happy::happy::happy:

judy and cxgirl like this.
  10. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

no, it isn't like the usual Roseville that you see, but it is quite an attractive piece in person:)

judy likes this.
  11. komokwa

You're photo's are fine....great even....maybe it's just not photogenic !! :hilarious::hilarious:

cxgirl likes this.
  12. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

It's one of those patterns that you either love or hate. For its time I think it was rather innovative and I can see the attraction - but it's never been to my taste.
    Don

cxgirl, komokwa and judy like this.
  13. komokwa

Oh Don....I can't hate the poor thing for just being itself....! :hilarious::hilarious:

cxgirl likes this.
  14. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Sorry, komokwa, you're quite right, my wording was too strong. I would like to change "love or hate" to "suits your personal sense of style or not." I really do try hard not to judge.;)
    Don

cxgirl and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted