Featured Pottery piece, is this Roseville Rozane Ware?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Lucille.b, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Picked this up last weekend at an estate. Actually was still sitting there after a few hours and sort of caught my eye.

Also got a very pretty piece of unsigned daffodil (pretty sure Jonquil) pattern Roseville. Was looking up the daffodil piece once home and by chance saw some Roseville pieces that sort of looked like this unsigned brown one calling it Rozane.

(If you are curious, also posting a few pics of the daffodil one, I believe the Jonquil pattern.)

daf2.jpg

Was mostly wondering if this is Roseville, too:

rose1.jpg rose2.jpg rose2b.jpg rose4.jpg

Attached Files:

• daf3.jpg
      daf3.jpg
      File size:
      144.8 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  2. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I don't know Lucille, but I really like that first one. The color of the clay on the feet of the second one bother me, too white? But like I said, I don't know :)

3. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I don't see the shape of your second one in my Huxford Roseville book for Rozane or their Weller book for Louwelsa. Of course they may not include all shapes.

It's very pretty. I have a dark vase with hand painted flowers in the same style by Ruko so there were other companies that made the type also.

Your first one does appear to be Roseville Jonquil though in your pic it looks a bit darker than they show. The shape seems like their 4" urn if that matches yours in size.

4. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I didn't see the Rozane shape either.....same book.

The first one (jonquil) is suspect to me.....repro? Even the repros are marked tho, so am anxious to see what others think.

i need help and Lucille.b like this.
  5. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I don't think repro on the jonquil. It's the blending that really makes the difference. The colors on the repros are two dimensional and flat making everything look lifeless. The colors on the above vase sets the flowers off nicely and give it some depth. It looks like you could pluck the flowers right off the vase. One of my favorite patterns.
    Don

6. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

The standard one may be Louwelsa, because there are other shapes with the same leaves. I didn't find it, though.

i need help, judy and Lucille.b like this.
  7. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Thank you all for thinking about this, taking a look in books, etc.

The daffodil one is 4" exactly, I didn't have great light when I took the photo -- was in a sunroom but it was after 4pm, might have made it look darker.

Will search a bit on the brown one with the names suggested. Thanks! :)

i need help and judy like this.
  8. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

It is a standard glaze vase. Many companies made them but searching this term should bring up similar.

9. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

McCoy is another Ohio pottery that made similar wares.

10. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Lucille's piece looks legit. Many of the Roseville reproductions I've seen are laughably bad on any pattern that has much detail/texture.

i need help, Lucille.b and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted