Pottery Planter - Italian or Japanese in Italian Style?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by dgbjwc, Jul 14, 2020.

1. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hello My Pottery Friends - I have a footed planter that I can't quite figure out. It stands about 5 1/4" tall and is unmarked. It seems too nice in quality to be Japanese but at the same time it doesn't quite feel Italian. I don't have the vocabulary to describe it but Italian glazes usually have a brittle quality to them that is lacking in this piece. Of course, I could be wrong and it could be from somewhere else entirely. The raised flowers appear molded rather than applied. I'm guessing it's from between the world wars. Any help you can provide would be most welcome. Thank you very much and it's so nice to be back.
    Don

IMG_20200711_155623555.jpg IMG_20200711_155636114.jpg IMG_20200711_155654345.jpg IMG_20200711_155647272.jpg

scoutshouse likes this.
  2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I was trying to see if that was a flower in the middle of the bottom (and it might be) and as I enhanced the photo these two spots jumped out. Remember, I see cloud pictures, but it looks like impressed letters in one spot on the left, the other is probably just a squiggle scratch. Could those be letters?

It took me ages to find a very tiny impressed "Japan" on a pot one time.

upload_2020-7-14_12-37-7.png

3. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I see the areas you mean but even with magnification couldn't figure out anything that made sense. I puzzled over that center spot on the bottom too but couldn't make anything out of that either. Thanks for looking.

say_it_slowly likes this.
  4. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

I was thinking the center might be a B or D.

dgbjwc likes this.
  5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

SO, you all are so good at coming up with impossible stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The ONLY foot I was able to possibly see much on was the LEFT foot you also see something! On trying to enlarge, the best I come up with is X ? 7.....middle could be an 0 or as you think a B or D...........the others, as shown, are impossible....yes something there, but too tiny.....Don, how about cleaning the feet and trying some Cinnamon maybe???? Here's what I did get......also, the something written under the X?7 looks like it starts with a script E l or E x then ??ta maybe??? Am posting the inverted, but too small for Topaz to help successfully....picked up too much extraneous 'stuff'.....ALSO, going back and re-reading what 'SiS posted, it could be other writing that's in that LEFT foot.....but looking again, it could be something else.....but it does look like a 7 at the end....JMHO......!

IMG_20200711_155654345-gigapixel-scale-1_50x.jpg

LEFT FOOT-gigapixel-scale-1_50x.jpg left foot

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
    dgbjwc and i need help like this.
  6. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I'll try and clean that foot up a bit. I'll have to use something non-abrasive or I may lose what little is left.

Draft saved Draft deleted