Featured Pottery Vase/Basket - Hobby Shop or Obscure Maker?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Bakersgma, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Got this back in early June at a "neighborhood" sale that has yielded some nice things in the past. Decided to take a flyer on this pale green mixed with mauve glaze vase or basket for $3.

8 3/4 inches tall, about 6 1/2 wide and 3-ish deep. The two sides have different leaf arrangements and you can see them on the inside too. 2-part mold, white clay and underside unglazed. The inside is completely glazed in sort of "robin's egg blue." There seem to be a few very faintly impressed all-caps letters on the bottom that I can only see when holding it in strong light at an angle. Seems to start with WEE and then continues for at least another 5 or 6 letters. It's very neatly done, no glaze skips, no glaze from the sides running underneath.

Thoughts?

Leaves Vase-Basket 1.jpg

Leaves Vase-Basket 2.jpg

Leaves Vase Inside Color.jpg

Leaves Vase Bottom.jpg

Ghopper1924, Niko and toomanytocount like this.
  2. toomanytocount

toomanytocount Boredom is a sin.

It's very nice, maybe in the style of Weller or other American pottery. The unglazed base is unusual for them. Worth it!

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  3. Bakersgma

Thanks, Toomany. It's nice enough, although its "look" doesn't remind me of any particular US commercial pottery. Definitely doesn't look like Weller to me.

Ghopper1924 and toomanytocount like this.
  4. toomanytocount

Love a challenge, my marks book had one, so must be more, it was dated 1935 for that molded pottery piece in pink glaze, and green interior. :smug:

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  5. Bakersgma

Really? Can you show me? Which book?

toomanytocount likes this.
  6. toomanytocount

It's the Chad Lage, Pottery & Porcelain Marks book, 413 pages in alphabetical order, with images for each mark, from 2004. Weller has about 6 to 10 marks over the years.

I just did a search and unless there was more than one WELLER, I found several pieces with unglazed bases and an imprint of the name in capital letters, nothing else, in a variety of color combinations with flowers, but none with the style of your's. So maybe not Weller. I'm not an American pottery expert, just know a little. :)

7. Bakersgma

I see. Well, just so happens I have that book. And I don't see a molded piece with pink glaze plus green interior in the Weller pictures, much less one that looks anything like this one. (Which is what I thought you were saying in your earlier post.)

I don't use Lage for US marks, anyway, having my trusty copy of Lehner's Encyclopedia of US Marks for that. The only entry that starts with WEE is for a Weeks that was gone long before this was made.

Whatever is (just barely) on the bottom of this one really does start with WEE - not WEL.

Thanks for trying!

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  8. toomanytocount

I enjoy this Bakers, part of the fun is solving mysteries.
    The Lage page is 365, top left mark and image, there was a connection to the interior pinkish color. I did not find any with WEE... spelling that fit what we are looking for either. Maybe someday, you never know, answers pop up when you least expect it. LOL

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  9. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

10. Bakersgma

:woot: You found it! Great job, SIS!!

11. toomanytocount

Me too, happy to know what it is and that another member had the answer, this is great! Thank you. :joyful:

12. Niko

Niko Member

Oh! I really like this vase!

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  13. janettekay

janettekay Well-Known Member

This one I could actually have helped with !!! But late to the party:oops:
    I once had a few pieces of West Coast Pottery..with this exact glaze and coloring.
    I always liked their very "organic" (for lack of a better word) form.

James Conrad and Bakersgma like this.
  14. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Thar She Blowssssssssssssssssssss, good job say it slowly, another mystery solved!

Draft saved Draft deleted