Featured Pottery Vase, unmarked. ?1900-10? Any ideas?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Oxonian, Jun 7, 2022.

1. Oxonian

Oxonian New Member

Greetings,

I have a vase H:7" x W:4.5" with a floral motif. No markings on base or internally.

I have been informed that it is 1900-1910 but other than that I have no information. It bears a similarity to Moorcroft Pomegranate in style.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

TIA IMG_4383.jpg IMG_4384.jpg IMG_4388.jpg IMG_0036.jpg

Firemandk, judy and moreotherstuff like this.
  2. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Hello @Oxonian & welcome to the forum!! :happy::happy:

I can't help you with information on your vase but maybe I can help you get some folks who can help. :D

You may want to go back & edit your title & add the word "pottery" to get the right folks looking in. Click on "thread tools" at the top right & the drop-down box will give you an option to edit the title.

Where about do you live? Was the vase obtained locally?

I do not think it is Moorcroft but will call upon @Ownedbybear for the much more learned opinion. :happy::happy:

@Joe in PA @Potteryplease

3. Joe in PA

Joe in PA Well-Known Member

Its a decorated "Standard Glaze" vase made by many in that time period. Based on the distinctive underside blue-green color, I would want to say Weller made it.

Figtree3, verybrad, judy and 2 others like this.
  4. Oxonian

Oxonian New Member

Thank you for your replies,

I inherited this from my late mother, and I've known it all my life (so 50+ years). How she came by it, I don't know. I had assumed it was a wedding present (so 1950s/60s era, but someone contacted me on FB and mentioned that he had a pair very similar, which he suggested were closer in age to 1900-10 but I've not found anything online to confirm or refute this. I only suggested it was similar in style to some Moorcroft i'd seen, given it's naif floral motif. If only it were genuine Moorcroft :)

I'm based in Oxford, UK.

Figtree3, judy, Born2it and 1 other person like this.
  5. Oxonian

Oxonian New Member

The closest I've found to it is this 'Rookwood Iris Glaze floral motif vase' by Grace Young, 1901. Currently on sale at a well known online antique site for $$$.

IMG_1602_master.jpg

Figtree3, judy and bercrystal like this.
  6. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

It looks very similar to Doulton Impasto ware, although that is usually marked.

Figtree3, Oxonian, judy and 1 other person like this.
  7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Definitely not Moorcroft.

Try Barum or Royal Brannam Ware. Background colour is right, as is the style of painting.

8. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Not Rookwood either.

9. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I would go with British production as the green color isn't quite the right shade for American production. Regardless, the 1900-1910 time frame sounds about right. Standard glazes were largely out of style by the 1910's. I'm rather fond of them though.

10. Ownedbybear

Absolutely not Doulton Impasto. The clay is totally wrong, as is the foot rim and shape and the fact that it's glazed.

11. Oxonian

Oxonian New Member

Thank you all for your input - this is turning into a bit of a mystery!

@Joe in PA , @dgbjwc - can you explain specifically what you mean by 'standard glaze' (as opposed to other types of glaze), how to identify it and date it?

Cursory google search on standard glaze invariably points to Rookwood and Limoges barbotine (which could be possible, as my parents lived for a time in France).

12. Ownedbybear

It's certainly not barbotine.

13. JunkshopJim

JunkshopJim Active Member

Gouda perhaps?

Figtree3 and judy like this.
  14. JunkshopJim

JunkshopJim Active Member

15. Joe in PA

Joe in PA Well-Known Member

Standard Glaze refers to the Glossy Brown glaze (sometimes blended from a lighter brown to a darker brown) used on these vases in that era by many pottery makers.

16. Ownedbybear

I'm still with Barum/Brannam.

dgbjwc and judy like this.
  17. Oxonian

Oxonian New Member

I saw the etsy one and contacted the seller. She purchased it in Seattle, but beyond that couldn't provide any further info. But at least it shows that mine isn't a one-off piece.

@Ownedbybear Have you seen anything by Barum/Brannam that is like it? I've not come across anything even vaguely similar.

Figtree3 likes this.
  18. Ownedbybear

I have, that background slugdy green is typical as is the cream and brown.

19. Oxonian

Oxonian New Member

It would be most helpful if you could direct me to an online example.

20. Oxonian

Oxonian New Member

Draft saved Draft deleted