Featured Potties ,a little help with these cups and saucers ? Pic heavy!

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by johnnycb09, May 8, 2021.

1. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Hi all. Found these cups and saucers today at Hoodwill,red tag 40% off! At first glance I thought all the scenes were the same,but there are slight variances in all of them. The cups are 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 ,the saucers are 5 x 1 ,but theres just a smidgen of difference in all of them size wise . Hand painted ,no marks except a few have 7's (?) and what looks like 9 and one with 3 bars. Im guessing 1820-40,possibly English ? I have 7 cups and 8 saucers. I could be wrong,but I felt these might be something special. Any and all input is always appreciated .
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

The man looks like an Alpine hiker?

Don’t know about the rest of the scene.

judy and Aquitaine like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Think they were certainly worth a flutter.

Debora

i need help, Aquitaine and johnnycb09 like this.
  4. johnnycb09

Theres one guy fishing,a couple of guys walking,on one it looks like a couple of guys shaking hands. One cup has just a scene with no people.

judy and i need help like this.
  5. i need help

6. Hamburger

Hamburger Absolute Beginner

I agree with INH that the clothing (as well as the mountains in the background) could point towards the Alps. Nothing that looks very English to me. I'm struggling with the architecture. Could you maybe let us have closer pictures of a couple of the buildings (and the people)?

I'm also seeing what could be letters on the bottom in (I think) your 9th photo. Any chance of a better look?

i need help likes this.
  7. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I'm sorry I can't help though if no one comes up with anything I'll try.

Gut reaction was Italian but I'm really not good with Italian porcelain so it means nothing.

i need help and judy like this.
  8. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

Definitely Continental Mid to late 19th century I think. Not great quality painting. Torn between France and Italy tending toward Italy. Can’t be sure sorry.

johnnycb09 and i need help like this.
  9. i need help

Figtree3 and John Brassey like this.
  10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

It's certainly a coffee can. I think Continental too.

11. johnnycb09

Wow,thanks everyone ! Great info,INH,I swear I dont know how people find anything on images! I try so hard! I used to be able to,but for some reason its hard for me now. Thats glue residue Hamburger,I double and triple checked all of them just to be sure. Heres a few more pics as requested....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hamburger, bercrystal and i need help like this.
  12. i need help

13. johnnycb09

i need help likes this.
  14. i need help

I think finding one with the same handle, might be the way to go. I’m at an impasse, for now.

15. johnnycb09

The last one you linked looks pretty darn close. I REALLY appreciate all your help on this. :)

i need help likes this.
  16. i need help

That one doesn’t seem to have people, though.

17. johnnycb09

One of my cups only has a building scene. Ive looked at French Old Paris for a while now,and mine just dont seem to be as finely done ? Ive seen the exact same decoration on several though.

i need help likes this.
  18. i need help

You will likely see other countries making these same scenes. (With varying workmanship) I’ll try to link some so you will see what I mean.

johnnycb09 likes this.
  19. i need help

20. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

JMHO.
    Northern Italy with the typical pine tree alleys. in the background the ridge of soft hillocks in Tuscany.

i need help and johnnycb09 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted