Featured Potties,any ideas on these plates?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by johnnycb09, Aug 7, 2018.

1. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Hi all. Picked up 11 of these hand painted plates with fruit on them,for no other reason than they were 4 for a $1. Well,and pretty too. There is wear to the gilding on most of them,but the centers are perfect. No markings at all. They are 8 1/2 inches wide. So am I looking at victorian,or 1960s Japanese? Any input is always appreciated.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Johnnycb09, just curious but . . . are the painted fruits under glaze or painted on top of the glaze?

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  3. johnnycb09

I think they are on top,but how can one be sure? I can feel the edges of the designs are sorta raised.

4. LoveTheHunt!

LoveTheHunt! Well-Known Member

You might sometimes feel the raised design under the glaze, but you should be able to tell, using a loupe, whether the brush strokes are on top, or under a clear coat. If on top, you should see more defined edges to the paint strokes.

i need help and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. johnnycb09

I have to confess my ignorance,I simply cant tell !!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

These are tough to date as plates with fruit decorations have been and are very popular. It's also difficult to tell country of origin. The bulk of the marked ones I run across are either French or German although Japanese examples are not too difficult to locate. And it's quite possible that one company made the blanks and another did the decorations.

The dates usually range from the late 1880's through the 1950's. I'd put yours in the later half of that range based on the borders.

Wish I could tell you more but it's one of those cases where without a signature or label they're awfully tough to pin down.
    Don

i need help, johnnycb09 and judy like this.
  7. johnnycb09

Thanks Don.My knee jerk was Japanese,so I suspect your correct on that. Im just gonna use and enjoy them cause they are pretty.

8. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Very pretty, Vibrant!

johnnycb09 and yourturntoloveit like this.
  9. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

OK. I’m gonna guess 1950s because that was when “harlequin” sets were popular — eg set of same cups and saucers but with different ground colours. They just have a 50s vibe to me.

i need help likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted