Potties: Brown Transferware English? Soup Bowl? pattern?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by *crs*, Jul 27, 2022.

1. *crs*

*crs* Hippy Dippy Antiquer

Got one of those needle in the haystack deals here :bag::) I have this unmarked brown transferware bowl. I assume it is English? and a soup bowl? About 5 5/8" diameter x 2 7/8" high. Hoping to determine pattern name ans possible maker. Thank you Brown.png

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Last edited: Jul 28, 2022
  3. *crs*

Thank you sis!!

say_it_slowly likes this.
  4. Nathan Lindop

Nathan Lindop 1: “?” 2: “!”

There are a few marked examoles of this pattern with outer pattern brown around that are marked with different makers. Ill keep looking. Job Meigh & Son aswell as Ralph Hammersley are two of them.

Figtree3 and *crs* like this.
  5. *crs*

Thank you

6. Nathan Lindop

Nathan Lindop 1: “?” 2: “!”

There are probably many more factories out there who must have purchased this pattern from a designer working in the Potteries. I found another mark where only an (...E S) from the end of the mark is left so I'm unsure who that one is.

The piece with the J M & S mark, which I've assumed is Job Meigh & Son has the three dimples on the base that is also on yours (all 3 marks are on plates not teacups so scale will vary).

These are:
    1) Burgess & Leigh
    2) Ralph Hammersley
    3) Job Meigh & Son

For comparison

Screenshot_20220729_155920.jpg Screenshot_20220729_155906.jpg 6d75d5a7457badc6c8efa694bdc0fd1c.jpg

Attached Files:

Figtree3 and *crs* like this.
  7. *crs*

Thank you Nathan. Interesting that there were so many that made this pattern

Draft saved Draft deleted